1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Need code format to accept PayPal order numbers but no other

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by HydraulicJack, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

I've got a field created on the Preferences page in the admin area that requires the user to enter an order number that matches the format of PayPal order numbers but no other.

Could someone please let me know what that is at your earliest convenience? A spambot has found my site and I'm getting flooded with people just putting the string
    order_number
    in the Order Number field.

MANY thanks!
    HJ

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What is the format of a PayPal order number?

3. HydraulicJack

This is an example:
    9E419885GG442505M

I'm not sure all PayPal orders follow that exact combination of alphanumerics but we can start there since the spambot is at this point just filling that field with:
    order_number

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Well you can use regex to limit to A to Z and numbers, like so ^[A-Z0-9]+$ but it won't stop the bots once they learn the new pattern.

5. HydraulicJack

THANKS! That'll stop this hack any way. What do you recommend as a more comprehensive solution?

6. HydraulicJack

We've just switched from pattern match to ReCaptcha

7. HydraulicJack

Do you think that is sufficient?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. HydraulicJack

BTW got the fire out at least for now. Thanks VERY much for your super quick response when I was at DefCon 5.

9. HydraulicJack

Ticket closed. Thanks for your REALLY quick response when I was under the gun!