Need advice on Mac and PC

a legacy reborn

I really want a Mac because of the amazing OS...but the fact is that their hardware is just not worth the money. I have found a better laptop that comes with a bunch of more accessories for around $1000 cheaper than a MBP. So, now the issue of the OS. I was wondering how much it would cost for me to
a. Buy Mac OS X Lion
b. Either setup some kind of VM for it or dual boot it(Hackintosh maybe?)
c. I know that OS X is very picky on its specs, if I have better specs that a MBP would it still work with my computer no problem? I don't feel like having to deal with anything complex as I will be eager to get on and learn about my new OS.

Just a little note:
The accessories are mostly just a carrying case and a cooling station/mat.
This comes with a 128GB SSD, i7 2630QM, 8GB RAM, and has a decent 2GB NVIDIA(I will be playing some games on this and I know that as a base it gets 36 FPS on StarCraft II on Ultra graphics), oh and it is only $1400 :P.

Don't know what the answer for you is. But I bought the littlest mbp (i5) a few days ago and would rather have that then an unsupported collection of hardware. I've no interest in trying to find all the proper drivers, follow up on issues by perusing whatever hackintosh forums there may be.

It is the fastest computer I've ever used, and I've used some fairly high end computers... though I am contemplating a memory upgrade because I am editing some huge files and have a large number of other things open.

I am sure you will be successful. Lion can be purchased on a usb memory stick for $79 in the usa.

I have both platforms
Resources
I feel free using windows where in mac i feel kindda limited (pc is my work station)
Experience
in mac is easy to browse the web and look into your files (multi touch :) mac is #1 for my videos, music, photos)

to be honest there are always counter arguments so try each one of them and see it yourself

Don't know what the answer for you is. But I bought the littlest mbp (i5) a few days ago and would rather have that then an unsupported collection of hardware. I've no interest in trying to find all the proper drivers, follow up on issues by perusing whatever hackintosh forums there may be.

It is the fastest computer I've ever used, and I've used some fairly high end computers... though I am contemplating a memory upgrade because I am editing some huge files and have a large number of other things open.

I am sure you will be successful. Lion can be purchased on a usb memory stick for $79 in the usa.
Windows Vista/7 controls finding drivers unless its something that is very unusual.

I just feel that paying 1k more for less is just not worth it. I mean I like how verything is made from the same provider but I know my way around a pc well enough that I could fix anything that comes up(hopefully).

What kind of high-end computers are we talking about? What were they used for?
That is a great price :) cheaper than windows...I wonder if I could buy the comp w/o an OS installed, install os x then use bootcamp to install windows, u think that would be easier?

Windows Vista/7 controls finding drivers unless its something that is very unusual.
I meant the Apple OS drivers for the hardware that Apple does not sell. I am quite aware that those would be available somewhere, at some point, probably from the manufacturer. But then going from 10.7.0 -> 10.7.1 those might need to be updated. Keep in mind I am completely new to the Apple world, so this is pure speculation on my part. But I did build PCs for decades.
What kind of high-end computers are we talking about? What were they used for?
That is a great price :) cheaper than windows...I wonder if I could buy the comp w/o an OS installed, install os x then use bootcamp to install windows, u think that would be easier?
I've not used anything recently high end, suffice it to say that over the years as the hardware got more powerful, the software used more of it. High end work stations for circuit board layout, cad, etc. Expensive computers,

I've no idea how you would go about having a dual boot windows / lion on a PC. I know that there are plenty of discussions though.

I've not used anything recently high end, suffice it to say that over the years as the hardware got more powerful, the software used more of it. High end work stations for circuit board layout, cad, etc. Expensive computers,

I've no idea how you would go about having a dual boot windows / lion on a PC. I know that there are plenty of discussions though.

I'll have to look that up.

If anyone knows if it easier to do a fresh install of Mac OS then use bootcamp please do tell.

mac_pc.png

Top Bottom