Need a new PC

The reason to go with Mac hardware is the OS, which is far more elegant and noticeably less complicated than Windows.
I appreciate the post (I DID say if I could get an unbiased opinion I would consider). However, I've been working on Windows systems for 15+ years now, with some Unix here and there. It's what I'm comfortable with and I don't find very complicated at all.

If you must do Windows development, you can use a virtual machine (Parallels or VMWare) and get great performance, or use Boot Camp to restart the computer in a Windows environment with identical performance to any Windows box. You get the best of both.
But why? If I'm never going to use the main OS except to boot my machine with and run the VM, what's the point?

Anyway, another member has PC'ed me and offered to spec out a custom PC that I'll probably make the time over a weekend to build myself. I'll probably post the specs here and get everyone's opinions (which are very much appreciated) before making a final decision.

Thanks again, all!

Actually, that might be the best approach, the custom PC. You'll get everything you want at a better price. Enjoy.

But if you have a chance some time, go visit an Apple Store, hang out, play with the hardware and ask questions. I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But I did use DOS and other text-based computers in the 1970s, so I've found ways to change and change again over the years.

Actually, that might be the best approach, the custom PC. You'll get everything you want at a better price. Enjoy.
Cheers! :)

But if you have a chance some time, go visit an Apple Store, hang out, play with the hardware and ask questions. I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But I did use DOS and other text-based computers in the 1970s, so I've found ways to change and change again over the years.
These are the kind of responses I can actually respect. You see a lot of "because Apple is just better" or "the hardware is better, but I have no actual facts". Those posts get lame and those people obviously really have no clue. I may just take your suggestion.

I've been around the block on this. You have to discover the facts for yourself, but I cannot change your preference. Besides, one of my current Web servers is Debian Linux (another CentOS), and I do use Windows from time to time. I'm not married to any single platform.

Top Bottom