1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navigation menu support for pages and subpages

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Coolhaus, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Coolhaus

Coolhaus Member

I am creating quite a lot of static HTML pages and I would like to have more than one level of pages show up in the navigational menus. The structure would be something like this:

Category 1
    Page 1​
    Subpage 1​
    Subpage 2​
    Subpage 3​
    Page 2
    Page 3​

Only one level of page links are supported which I am finding very limiting. I did play around with the pages option to automatically add a navigational menu for child and sibling nodes but again that assumes you setup your forum like this:

Category 1
    Page 1
    Subpage 1
    Subpage 2​

Not a logical hierarchy if Subpage 1 should sit below Page 1. At the moment I am creating the Subpage links by hand and placing them in a custom HTML container in the sidebar, but it will be long winded and I will have to manually update the links should them change. The automatic navigational menu that is added to pages would be a great starting point if it wasn't for:
    1. It only works one level deep​
    2. The menu would need to be moved into the sidebar/elsewhere and restyled​

I appreciate Xenforo isn't designed as a portal but so many people are already pushing it beyond what it was designed to do. Anyone have any experience of a similar setup?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Edit this file:

library/XenForo/Model/Page.php

You can see the depth is specified in red:

Code:
    	public function getChildNodes(array $page)
    	{
    		$nodes = $this->_getNodeModel()->getChildNodesToDepth($page, 1, true);

return $this->_prepareRelatedNodes($nodes);
    	}

But if you increase that number then you need to edit the style to make display changes for the child links depending on depth:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> pagenode_container

Add the red code (4 pieces). Or you can just copy the entire template below which is from XenForo 1.1.3 with the necessary code added:

Code:
    <xen:title>{$page.title}</xen:title>

<xen:navigation>
    	<xen:breadcrumb source="$nodeBreadCrumbs" />
    </xen:navigation>

<xen:container var="$head.openGraph">
    	<xen:include template="open_graph_meta">
    		<xen:set var="$url">{xen:link canonical:pages, $page}</xen:set>
    		<xen:set var="$title">{$page.title}</xen:set>
    	</xen:include>
    </xen:container>

<xen:container var="$quickNavSelected">node-{$page.node_id}</xen:container>

<xen:container var="$bodyClasses">{xen:helper nodeClasses, $nodeBreadCrumbs, $page}</xen:container>

<xen:container var="$head.canonical">
    	<link rel="canonical" href="{xen:link 'canonical:pages', $page}" /></xen:container>

<xen:if is="{$page.description}">
    	<xen:description class="baseHtml">{xen:raw $page.description}</xen:description>
    </xen:if>

<xen:require css="pagenode.css" />

<div id="pageNodeContent">

<xen:if hascontent="true">
    		<div id="pageNodeNavigation" class="secondaryContent">
    			<div class="blockLinksList">
    			<xen:contentcheck>

<xen:if is="{$listSiblingNodes} && {$siblingNodes}">

<xen:if is="{$parentNode}"><h3 class="parentNode"><a href="{$parentNode.href}"><span class="_depth0 depthPad">{$parentNode.value}</span></a></h3></xen:if>

<ol class="siblingNodes">
    						<xen:foreach loop="$siblingNodes" value="$node">
    							<li class="{xen:if '{$node.node_id} == {$page.node_id}', 'currentNode', 'siblingNode'}">
    								<a href="{xen:link {$node.routePrefix}, $node}" class="{xen:if '{$node.node_id} == {$page.node_id}', 'selected'}">
    									<span class="_depth1 depthPad">{$node.title}</span>
    								</a>
    								<xen:if is="{$listChildNodes} && {$childNodes} && {$node.node_id} == {$page.node_id}">
    									<ol class="childNodes">
    									<xen:foreach loop="$childNodes" value="$childNode">

<xen:set var="$childStyle">margin-left: {xen:calc '({$childNode.depth} - {$page.depth} - 1) * 20'}px;</xen:set>

<li class="childNode" style="{$childStyle}"><a href="{xen:link {$childNode.routePrefix}, $childNode}">
    											<span class="_depth2 depthPad">{$childNode.title}</span>
    										</a></li>
    									</xen:foreach>
    									</ol>
    							</li>
    					</ol>

<xen:elseif is="{$listChildNodes} && {$childNodes}" />

<ol class="childNodes">
    						<xen:foreach loop="$childNodes" value="$childNode">

<xen:set var="$childStyle">margin-left: {xen:calc '({$childNode.depth} - {$page.depth} - 1) * 20'}px;</xen:set>

<li class="childNode" style="{$childStyle}"><a href="{xen:link {$childNode.routePrefix}, $childNode}">
    								<span class="_depth0 depthPad">{$childNode.title}</span>
    							</a></li>
    					</ol>

</xen:contentcheck>
    			</div>
    		</div>

<xen:hook name="pagenode_container_article">
    	<article>{xen:raw $templateHtml}</article>
    	</xen:hook>

<div class="bottomContent">

<xen:if is="{$page.log_visits}">
    			<div class="pageCounter">
    				<dl class="pairsInline pageStats">
    					<dt>{xen:phrase published}:</dt> <dd>{xen:date $page.publish_date}</dd>
    					<dt>{xen:phrase page_views}:</dt> <dd>{xen:number $page.view_count}</dd>
    				</dl>
    			</div>

<xen:include template="share_page">
    			<xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:pages', $page}</xen:set>
    		</xen:include>

</div>

</div>

The result:

Screen shot 2013-01-14 at 2.30.55 PM.png

This of course assumes you have siblings and/or children enabled for the page node:

Screen shot 2013-01-14 at 2.23.18 PM.png

Coolhaus likes this.
  3. Jake Bunce

This is similar to what one person did with the NodesAsTabs addon (if you are interested in creating nav tabs for pages):

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

...with a small modification:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/page-6#post-293965

...it can display multiple levels of child links in the popup which looks like this:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/page-6#post-293499

...but the child links are limited to one level deep once you enter the tab and they become a row of links.

Morgain likes this.
  4. Coolhaus

Coolhaus Member

Many thanks Jake that is a huge help - the first suggestion would seem to be the best for me as I really need that extra level of links. I can see how the drop down menu would work (as per your attachment) but once you enter the tab only one level of links can be shown (as a row of links). I hadn't considered that and the potential it would have to confuse users. I suppose it is possible to change that behavior so that navigation is done solely with the drop down menus? I will have to think about it.

I am already using your excellent NodesAsTabs addon and it is incredibly useful.

5. Coolhaus

Coolhaus Member

I made those edits and it does work giving me a secondary page navigation of the child links to the depth I specified (3 in this case). That in itself is useful but in my mind I had intended these links to also show up when the main category is also a tab (NodesAsTabs addon).

Currently the main navigation (on a tab) works like this:
    Menu tab 1
    ----- Page 1

And only the secondary navigation shows the full structure:
    Menu tab 1
    ----- Page 1
    ---------- Child 1
    -------------------- Child 2
    ------------------------------ Child 3

The link you gave explains what I was trying to do http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/page-6#post-293499

I'm not sure how it should be handled to be honest, I really wanted a full drop-down style menu navigation so it may need some rethinking on my part. In the meantime I shall investigate the page navigation to see if it can be styled and moved to my liking. To work!

6. Jake Bunce

Coolhaus likes this.
  7. Coolhaus

Coolhaus Member

I ended up moving the page node navigation into the sidebar with a simple edit to the pagenode_container (wrapping the code in <xensiderbar>tags) - with some tweaks to the CSS its actually working quite well and still leaves the main HTML content of the page on the left. That drop-down menu solution does look pretty sleek though so I will give that a shot.