Nature of upgrades

rvnorth

Hi,

Just about to finally buy a Xenforo license but need to know what happens if I never upgrade Xenforo ?
Will it still be functional or are the upgrades 100% necessary for it to function properly ?

Can I have a personal coder/programmer to upgrade it ?

Just about to finally buy a Xenforo license but need to know what happens if I never upgrade Xenforo ?
Will it still be functional or are the upgrades 100% necessary for it to function properly ?
The version you're on will function the same as it always has as long as you're on it. Browser updates & the like may create bugs, however. Each new version of Xenforo includes not only new features but also bug fixes, so if you're using a truly outdated version of the software, you may encounter bugs down the road.

I also don't think that many people would want to support your site (through add-ons or general help) on an outdated version. It's best practice to remain up to date.
Can I have a personal coder/programmer to upgrade it ?
If you mean can the board be modified, absolutely. People do really awesome things with Xenforo (see the Resources tab).
If you're asking whether you can pay someone to update the board to newer versions, that's a yes too. Many people here offer the service for a small fee.

It will be functional, and upgrades are recommended but not required. If you want to hire a developer, yes, you can use them to program add-ons for you and upgrade it.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.
I know my question was kind of stupid and I am a bit too careful just before buying.
Forums, wordpress etc requires maintenance/updates regularily even though I dream of another world.

I am going through the configuration builder and I guess I need to go into my cpanel and create a New MySQL database ?
There is no step for that in the install guide.

And now that I bought it with another email address, do I need to create a new account
in this forum because I dont have access to the full forum yet.

I can log in to customers section but not into the forum with the same login info.

1. Once these details are provided, a configuration file will be generated. In most cases, you will have to upload this to your server manually.
  2. Download the file generated by the installer and save it to your computer. It should be called config.php.
I didnt have to upload the config.php and have already logged in as administrator and I guess all is ok then ?
I ran a file health check and all was fine...
Easy...thanks

There are some server configs that wont allow the installer to edit the config.php file when you enter details like database name and user name and all that and in that case the installar would give you instructions to upload the config.php file. Its very rare to come across such configs and in your case your server allowed it just like most others do so you dont need to do anything.

As far as your question about upgrading goes.. I am just assuming that you dont want to be stuck with a broken forum and your fear is genuine if you are coming from another platform where I have myself had a hard time upgrading but xenforo developers have been doing a great job so far and honestly speaking its so easy that my granny could do it after reading the instructions if need be ;)

Top Bottom