NASCAR anyone?

boatswife

We went to the Daytona 500 on Sunday. It was our first time to that track and it was a beautiful day!
We were on the backstretch, which were surprisingly good tickets. We had a wonderful time.
PLW_2910 (Medium).webp
PLW_3049 (Medium).webp

I love NASCAR!!! I was a nascar fan growing up. My step-grandfather was one of daddy Petty's crew.
Went to the Daytona 500 every year til about 7 yrs ago (the year before I moved to Ohio).
I was at the 500 when Dale was killed. What a sad, sad day.

My son likes Jeff Gordon. NO idea where he got that from. *gag*
Go Junior!

The tribute on lap 3 was eerie. I was glad we were there for such a memorable event.
I'm sure you'll really love this picture.
PLW_2836 (Medium).webp

I can't watch NASCAR as it's just too artificial.

This is a comment from one of the members on my site, who is a fan:
Bayne ran near the front for nearly the entire distance, partnering with a number of drivers in the new style of tandem-drafting that became possible this year at Daytona because of the track being resurfaced. This "2 car draft" technique allowed cars to go 15-20 MPH faster when running nose to tail, than by themselves.

Another interesting aspect of this race was the introduction of Car to Car radio transmissions. Because of the necessity to work with other drivers in tandems, many teams implemented radio setups that allowed the drivers to communicate with each other on the track. At times it got a little silly, with drivers opting to pair up with the guy who "asked first", as if they were at a grade-school dance.

Any motorsport which involves competing teams/drivers co-operating with each other during the race isn't for me.

Jimmie Johnson fan here. When he won his fourth Championship in a row, I won a bet that I made with a friend. He was being cocky about Jeff Gordon, so I bet him a pack of smokes that Jimmie would win for a fourth time in a row. And he did. Lol.

Should've went double for last year. What're the odds he would actually go for five.

Been a fan ever since. Been a general NASCAR fan since I was young, though.

We have an annual party for the 500, and I DVR every race.

Back about 5 years ago I was going to 3 races a season (Martinsville x2, Pocono). Then after realizing the same teams were winning race after race (Jimmy Johnson contributed to this) I started to hate Nascar. Back in the day it was about the drivers and who could make the best consistent pit stops. Now it is all about Hollywood, money and who has the better teammates on the track. These teams killed Nascar for me, it takes away any chance for a standalone rookie to even make a race anymore. If you don't have the sponsors or the money then its back to the trailer.

I hear ya! I have only been watching since 1989 and loved Alan Kulwicki because he was doing it on his own. Just in the short time that I've been watching, racing certainly has changed and not always for the better. On Sunday because of how they had to race, one wreck took out half the field and changed the entire race.

What we really enjoy is hitting the local race tracks when they open up. We've been really fortunate to be stationed close to some really nice tracks. Lernerville Speedway has been our favorite. Peggy will know about that track!

I am a huge fan of drag racing, hence my username (Quick 86' Grand National) but I also loved watching Nascar every Sunday. Right now I'm into Sprint car racing as my Dad owns 2 cars, a mini sprint and a all out sprint car with a 360 engine built by Charlie Fischer, father of the well known Sarah Fisher from Indy racing.

Can't beat the local tracks and the bumping and grinding. :)

I am a huge fan of drag racing, hence my username (Quick 86' Grand National) but I also loved watching Nascar every Sunday. Right now I'm into Sprint car racing as my Dad owns 2 cars, a mini sprint and a all out sprint car with a 360 engine built by Charlie Fischer, father of the well known Sarah Fisher from Indy racing.

Can't beat the local tracks and the bumping and grinding. :)
Love the Sprint cars!! We've seen lots of WoO Sprint and Late Model races at the dirt track in Lernerville, PA! You'd better be sitting high up or you'll get a huge clod of dirt in your face! LOL Local tracks really are the best type of racing.

Naturally my motorsport of choice is F1 but I do also enjoy BTCC which involves a lot of pushing and shoving :D
I'll have to keep an eye out for the BTCC if there's a lot of action. I don't think I've ever watched them race. Not too much into F1 racing, but they sure can go fast!

ROFLMBO I never realized that the sex-ban really worked! LOL He is funny and talented!

That's some racing and just what I like to see.

Back about 5 years ago I was going to 3 races a season (Martinsville x2, Pocono). Then after realizing the same teams were winning race after race (Jimmy Johnson contributed to this) I started to hate Nascar. Back in the day it was about the drivers and who could make the best consistent pit stops. Now it is all about Hollywood, money and who has the better teammates on the track. These teams killed Nascar for me, it takes away any chance for a standalone rookie to even make a race anymore. If you don't have the sponsors or the money then its back to the trailer.
That is very true, and one of the reasons why I haven't tried to attend a race since moving to Ohio 6 years ago. But "back in the day", a NASCAR race was a site to see and THE "in" thing. It was very much enjoyable.

Now, I take my son to demolition derbies. :p

I did go to the Fontana Speedway to watch a race once, but it got rained out near the end. Had no idea what race it was or who was in it, though. I'm just not into auto racing.

My older brother is a rabid NASCAR far. Boy did he get upset when the "Ricky Bobby" movie came out.

Me, I'm more of a bike week fan. I haven't been to Daytona since I moved to Texas in 2000. Prior to that, I never missed a year.

Jeff

I watch pretty much every NASCAR race every year. Daytona is a great track, I've yet to have bad tickets there myself, were you there for all of race week or just for the actual race? Trevor Bayne surprised me with that win, only his second NASCAR start and first Daytona 500 and wins it.

Top Bottom