MySQL 5.6 / MySQL 7.2 = XenForo at warp speed

A while back, myself and George (eva2000) did some tests on MariaDB 5.2.5 which was based on MySQL 5.1.54. I'm currently using MariaDB 5.2.12, based on 5.1.62 version. When I did the tests using the Axivo optimized RPM's, MariaDB was 40% faster than MySQL 5.5 and Percona Server. Also, my optimized MariaDB RPM's are about 45% faster compared to official MariaDB RPM's. George confirmed the findings with his own tests. No idea how MySQL 5.6 is but MariaDB will always be faster and more robust.

For cluster, look at MariaDB-55-Galera (soon to be released). Galera is a much better solution for clustering.

Reactions: CNK
I'm using Percona Mysql Server.
Used to gone with MariaDB. It's faster than both Mysql & Percona but I have some bad experiences with innodb engine, Crashed 2 times and I have to recovery from draw idb files.

Both MariaDB & Percona stop, start & restart faster than Original Mysql

I have some bad experiences with innodb engine.
That's probably due to a faulty rpm build, there is an army of patches missing from MariaDB OpenLab rpm's. Is not about restarting a service, is about how many queries per second each product can run and how they use the resources while doing that. :)

I mean it faster in both Performance & Service Restart.
Still follow MariaDB on twitter. I may go back in future.

MariaDB has always preformed slower for me. Couldn't tell you why, but it has. :(

Percona is outstanding if you're going to use only innodb. That little baby can burn. (y) But they've never completely been able to optimize their code for myisam or mixed (typically how I have it, mixed)

Standard MySQL is good for my setup though.

MariaDB has always preformed slower for me. Couldn't tell you why, but it has. :(

Percona is outstanding if you're going to use only innodb. That little baby can burn. (y) But they've never completely been able to optimize their code for myisam or mixed (typically how I have it, mixed)

Standard MySQL is good for my setup though.
Percona MySQL user here although I have downloaded and compiled MariaDB 5.5.x to do some testing with. To be honest I am not overly worried about MyISAM performance as I hardly use that table type anymore.

Percona MySQL user here although I have downloaded and compiled MariaDB 5.5.x to do some testing with. To be honest I am not overly worried about MyISAM performance as I hardly use that table type anymore.

Some of the mods released here seem to default toward it and converting them to innodb, didn't yield such good results.

Once most of the on going development switches to innodb .... Like yourself, I'm moving back to Percona ;)

Some of the mods released here seem to default toward it and converting them to innodb, didn't yield such good results.

Once most of the on going development switches to innodb .... Like yourself, I'm moving back to Percona ;)
Percona know InnoDB and XtraDB rocks which is why MariaDB incorporates that into their build. I just hope that Percona takes some of the MariaDB optimiser enhancements.

Percona know InnoDB and XtraDB rocks which is why MariaDB incorporates that into their build. I just hope that Percona takes some of the MariaDB optimiser enhancements.
Percona has no intentions of touching the MySQL Core/MyISAM side of things, their goal is InnoDB related. That's where MariaDB differ from Percona, which is why I prefer MariaDB for this reason.

But less than 4-8 cpu threads wise, you would be hard pressed to find substantial differences in terms of performance (especially in InnoDB) when it comes to MariaDB 5.2/5.3 and Percona 5.5 and even latest MySQL 5.5.x builds. Once you get into 16-64+ thread scaling there are differences depending on how you tune each of them.

Choice is simple,
  • if 100% innodb = then MariaDB, Percona or MySQL 5.5 are all good choices.
  • if myisam/innodb mix = the MariaDB 5.2-5.5

I can vouch for the fact that MariaDB 5.3 produces a screaming fast XenForo install. Tweak the config and pair it with lighttpd and you've got a recipe for success :)

I can vouch for the fact that MariaDB 5.3 produces a screaming fast XenForo install. Tweak the config and pair it with lighttpd and you've got a recipe for success :)

How fast are we talking here?

toq3.png

Standard mysql 5.5 :V

Personally, I got much better results with MariaDB 5.2.x. Tested on massive sites with over 20,000 online users. There is something related to the JOIN enhancements in 5.3 that breaks things on very busy environments. I will run some tests on the new MariaDB 5.5 series before I venture on a production environment. For now I'm sticking with 5.2, the results are great.

Personally, I got much better results with MariaDB 5.2.x. Tested on massive sites with over 20,000 online users. There is something related to the JOIN enhancements in 5.3 that breaks things on very busy environments. I will run some tests on the new MariaDB 5.5 series before I venture on a production environment. For now I'm sticking with 5.2, the results are great.
Same findings MariaDB 5.2 for most folks seem to be faster than MariaDB 5.3. Testing MariaDB 5.5 right now just waiting on my pair of Intel Xeon E5-2650 Octa-core cpus. Can't wait for MariaDB 10.x - yes 10.x it's going to be MariaDB 5.5 based with merged features from MySQL 5.6 - hoping InnoDB transportable table space feature makes it in MariaDB 10.x :)

Top Bottom