1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MyBB tries to copy? Didn't work out so well :s

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alex A., Oct 19, 2010.

1. Alex A.

Alex A. New Member

Darkimmortal likes this.
  2. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

The good thing always is copied ;)
    Or it is tried to copy...
    Puntocom likes this.
  3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

As the saying goes, imitation is the best form of flattery
  4. Trip

Trip Active Member

I think that's a good thing. You'll see it from time to time with other software as well. vB has a couple of IPB look alike styles and vise versa. PHPBB has a Simple Machines theme, there are probably tons of more I bet.
  5. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I used to love Stock vB style.
    Now that I use xenforo alot, I dislike the look of vBulletin.
    And am constantly annoyed at vBulletin's lack of "Like".
    soloarquitectura likes this.
  6. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

I know! I can't count the times I've been on other forums and just looked around for the 'like' link! It just seems natural to have it there!
    soloarquitectura likes this.
  7. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

We can make bets on how long it will take to copy this :rolleyes:
  8. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Best compliment you can get...
  9. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Whomever designed this made one vital mistake. They did not use a highlighting gradient which is just a simple gradient but it re-sides in all the categories (category-23px-light.png). This sets the visual apart and eliminates that flat look. Infact, I said to kier the way he implemented this was really quite genius as older browsers take note of this gradient. The copied theme doesn't even show that on new browsers but then he/she probably didn't notice.

The background/body is one colour therefore lacks that visual separation that makes the xenforo style one of the best (if not the best) default styles on any product.

My tip of the day. Notice the little things, they'll make the biggest impact if implemented correctly. :p
    D37 and DaveL like this.
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Markos and Nayar like this.
  11. keisko

keisko Member

mybb has exactly same coding system of VB.. just has different function, class names..
  12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

It really doesn't.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I doubt that is true. It wouldn't of survived if it was.
  14. keisko

keisko Member

Yes it is.. but I don't care :)
  15. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

It isn't, it was just extremely similar when it was first released.
  16. keisko

keisko Member

as I said before I don't care.. look at Xenforo, looks like fecebook clone :p
  17. Forsaken

Thats like saying MySpace looks like Yahoo! Groups.
    Blandt likes this.
  18. keisko

keisko Member

I mean, everyone inspired by each other..
  19. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Active Member

Very incorrect. And I would know considering I used to be staff there. :)

In regards to the topic at hand, the MyBB Community has a certain knack for creating styles based off other software, rather than taking a unique approach. At least they did a few years ago, I wouldn't know now seeing as I'm no longer active in their Customization community anymore.

Almost every theme that was made for MyBB was modeled after vB3. In fact, most them of them actually created a navbar exactly like the vB3 one. There were many times I had to inform people that using vBulletin Graphics was against the law, and I even had to report a few sites after they refused to take the images down.
  20. Forsaken

There are a few things 'inspired' by Facebook, none of which Facebook was the first to have, however for the most part XenForo is just a forum with many social aspects to it.