My PC starts up for 3 seconds, then shuts down.

Do you see any options to boot into BIOS?

You say you've removed everything but can you tell me exactly everything plugged into your motherboard?

EDIT: You say you've put in a HDD because you've recently got Windows 8, did you install Windows 8 on the additional drive? What did you do with the original drive, have you swapped the sata connectors from your HDD's around?

It doesn't look like a very good power supply - 4 rails isn't a good design and I've never heard of the brand before.

If you are getting a new one, get something OEM'd by Seasonic such as XFX etc.

Try the paperclip trick on the PSU, because I've got a sneaking suspicion you have shorted out your motherboard (dropped a screw on it? no standoffs? static damage?) and there's really nothing wrong with the PSU.

I haven't heard of it before too. But is it really that bad?

The paperclip test returns in the PS running. So I guess that means the motherboard's broken?
I haven't done anything wrong with it that I know of. Just putting it on it's side..

Yeah, thinking more about it now. 3 seconds is too fast. tend to think either motherboard is broke or CPU is blown.

Is there a way I can test if the CPU is blown?

What model is the motherboard?
I have this one: http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/P43-C51.html

And people looked at me crazy when I dropped nearly £200 for my seasonic PSU :D

I'd rather not give so much money to a PS :P

Power supply sounds like the problem to me. ;)

I'd replace it, they're fairly cheep.

Well, as the paperclip trick tells me, my PS is fine :(

Do you see any options to boot into BIOS?

You say you've removed everything but can you tell me exactly everything plugged into your motherboard?

Well, I don't have a monitor that supports the plug my motherboard has, so I can't see that.
Only the processor + some usb port extentions atm.

EDIT: Nope, I used some fresh ones that were unused.

You should never scrimp on a PSU.

Amen, ive seen a £50 PSU crash and take with it £1500+ worth of other components. Not 1 thing wasnt shorted / blown / killed when it crashed, simply because the owner didn't want to spend and extra £50-60 or so and get one with a quality build.

Well, I don't have a monitor that supports the plug my motherboard has, so I can't see that.
Only the processor + some usb port extentions atm.

EDIT: Nope, I used some fresh ones that were unused.

Do you have access to another monitor or screen, what sort of connection are you using, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort? You need to rule things out and try using the onboard, no point spending money when you may be spending it in the wrong direction.

I'd honestly disconnect and unplug all power from the unit for about three or so minutes. There maybe residual power floating on the board with instructions to kill the board to protect it.

Amen, ive seen a £50 PSU crash and take with it £1500+ worth of other components. Not 1 thing wasnt shorted / blown / killed when it crashed, simply because the owner didn't want to spend and extra £50-60 or so and get one with a quality build.

Seasonic, XFX and Corsair but really you're primary choice should be Seasonic as they make all the decent ones for XFX/Corsair. I've seen a fair amount of negative reports for certain Corsair models lately although none that are made by Seasonic. But using your example I can't understand someone pinning over a grands worth of equipment to a cheap PSU, its just plain stupid.

Not sure what the paper clip test is, but also make sure all your cards are fully seated. I read that you added a video card, remove it and place it back in and double check that it's all the way in the slot. (giggity)

Not sure what the paper clip test is, but also make sure all your cards are fully seated. I read that you added a video card, remove it and place it back in and double check that it's all the way in the slot. (giggity)
Basically jump starting your PSU by bridging certain pins on the 24pin connector, by doing so you can prove your PSU is at least alive. Also handy if you're into watercooling and other lovely things.

Well, I bought my PC with a local dealer 3-4 years ago. They told me it's good, and I was stupid to believe that though.

If you ever buy a PSU and are not sure and want to ask, go to the jonnyguru forums. http://www.jonnyguru.com/

This site in my opinion is THE authority on PSU's. The guy who runs the PSU reviews is straight up no ******** lay it out bare. If a PSU is ****, he will tell you.

As a general rule of thumb, PSU's by seasonic, pcpower and cooling, silverstone, enermax will always be up there.

Watch out for "big brands" like corsair, coolermaster, thermaltake etc etc. They are all OEM resellers, and the quality between 2 models of the same series can be drastically different.

If it was me, I'd first remove all cards from slots and reseat them all again, including all the memory sticks. If that fails, next I would test things using less memory inserted. Install two sticks, then 4 e.t.c. As it could be one of them blown, so need to rule out it's not a blown memory stick causing it. You never know and it could be that simple saving you spending anything.

If all that still fails, next I'd trying replacing the CPU if you've got a spare one handy to try that is? If that fails chances are motherboard is knackered, or maybe PSU has a major fault. But doesn't sound like PSU, less likely to be that if powering up for 3 seconds before shutting down (even though it still could be). More likely to be other thing first.

It's not going to be the CPU, CPU's generally don't fail unless you are pushing them too hard or your cooling goes horribly wrong

It's not going to be the RAM either, I've never heard of a machine shutting off due to bad RAM

Has he been messing around inside the case though touching the CPU, has the PC been in transit from one house to another and maybe something has worked it's way lose or cracked the motherboard in transit. Has he been hovering it out by chance? Because that's how I blew my CPU, I was hovering dust out the case and static must have blown the CPU.

Remove ALL but 1 stick of ram (make sure you check the manual to see which slot to use with 1 stick)

Remove ALL HDD/DVD EXCEPT the primary boot drive

Remove ALL USB devices EXCEPT keyboard and mouse

Remove ALL PCI devices INCLUDING your graphics card

You said you don't have the right connection, bring your PC to another screen or being another screen to your PC its your choice but this is a step you need to do.

There's no point attempting to skip any steps.

It's not going to be the RAM either, I've never heard of a machine shutting off due to bad RAM

Usually it wouldn't, it would start booting and halt, but not power down if a memory problem. But said test it because I don't know if maybe some motherboards are designed to power down with it, you have nothing to lose testing it. But do agree, usually from my experience it wouldn't and just halt during boot-up with a bad memory stick detected.

Sounds like motherboard or CPU, I wouldn't rule out the CPU being at fault, not if messing around in the case. And his symptoms of starting for 3 seconds and shutting down is exactly what mine kept doing and was the CPU.

Top Bottom