My PC starts up for 3 seconds, then shuts down.

Vincent

Hello,

I have placed an extra HDD in my computer because I had received Windows 8 from my dad.

I had connected all the cables, but when I wanted to power on my computer my PC acted normal for 3 seconds but then it shut down.

I have recently placed a new Graphics Card: VGA Sapphire Radeon HD7870 OC 2GB, this is a pretty good card so I was worried that it was broken.

This doesn’t seem to be the case, because I removed the graphics card and the problem still occurs.
I removed my original + new hard disk + dvd writer + all the ram and the problem persists.

My question is: Is the power supply or the motherboard broken?
The most logic explanation for me is that the power supply is broken. The Graphics Card uses a lot of energy already and the new hard disk probably overloaded the power supply.

What is your opinion? What should I replace first?

I hope you can give me some advice, as I use the PC very often.
- Vincent

Does it get to a boot screen at all?

Seeing as it's Windows, can you boot into safe mode or the BIOS settings?

If you can't get to any of the above, it would seem the problem occurs before the OS is loaded and is likely a hardware issue. It narrows it down a little.

Does it get to a boot screen at all?

Seeing as it's Windows, can you boot into safe mode or the BIOS settings?

If you can't get to any of the above, it would seem the problem occurs before the OS is loaded and is likely a hardware issue. It narrows it down a little.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Also, it's really in the first few seconds of the boot that it shuts down, so that must be hardware.
It narrows it down, but it's expensive :P

I am really thinking that it's the power supply :(

Not overheating is it - check all fans working?

The Processor's fan is working, the back fan is working and the fan of the PS is working.
I really have no idea what's wrong.. The power supply gives power, but it looks like it loses the power after a few seconds.

Hello,

I have placed an extra HDD in my computer because I had received Windows 8 from my dad.

I had connected all the cables, but when I wanted to power on my computer my PC acted normal for 3 seconds but then it shut down.

If working OK before you installed the extra HD, sounds to me like you have too much drawing power now from the PSU going over voltage, why it's going into auto shut down. Try unplugging the extra HD and see if all is OK again, if yes I'd suspect you need a bigger PSU to handle things.

Some cheaper PSU for their wattage 700W, don't cope as well as better quality more expensive PSU's of same power rating.

If working OK before you installed the extra HD, sounds to me like you have too much drawing power now from the PSU, it's going into auto shut down. Try unplugging the extra HD and see if all is OK again, if yes I suspect you need a bigger PSU to handle things.

I have disconnected everything and it still has the problem..

How much RAM and what is your CPU? How many hard drives? how many accessories? How many opticals? How many (and make) graphcis cards?

I had 8 GB of RAM (now removed), I have an Intel Quad-Code CPU (I don't know the model number..) and 2 hard drives since today. One graphics card (you can see the model number at the OP) and a dvd writer.

It's the Xilense XP700, it's 700W
http://www.xilence.net/en/products/power-supplies/red-wing-series/product/242207.html

It did the trick for 3-4 years, and today it fails.

It doesn't look like a very good power supply - 4 rails isn't a good design and I've never heard of the brand before.

If you are getting a new one, get something OEM'd by Seasonic such as XFX etc.

Try the paperclip trick on the PSU, because I've got a sneaking suspicion you have shorted out your motherboard (dropped a screw on it? no standoffs? static damage?) and there's really nothing wrong with the PSU.

I have disconnected everything and it still has the problem.

There is a chance then the PSU could either be on it's way out. Could also be full of dust and needs a really good cleaning out, it's overheating too fast (not after 3 seconds though). But shutting down like that makes me think it's linked to a PSU problem. Does the PSU have a fan? If yes, is it still spinning to extract heat, check that's not stopped working if it has one.

If you're not even getting the windows boot screen at all, could be a motherboard problem as well, but would have thought it wouldn't auto power down unless PSU problem. Worth checking that the RAM is seated firmly in the slots proper as well. Hate to complicate things, but it could also be a blown CPU, had it happen to me and computer started then shut down seconds after. Turned out CPU was blown, when I thought it was PSU at fault.

In fact, it may be the CPU. I would press start power button, hear fans starts and then would just shut down. CPU was the problem and worked fine when replacing it.

If you're not even getting the windows boot screen at all, could be a motherboard problem as well, but would have thought it wouldn't auto power down unless PSU problem. Worth checking that the RAM is seated firmly in the slots proper as well. Hate complicate things, but could also be a blown CPU, had it happen to me and computer started then shut down seconds after. Turned out CPU was blown, when I thought it was PSU at fault.

Auto power down during the first couple of seconds usually happens when the motherboard is shorted out by something.

If the PSU were at fault, usually it will be either totally dead or only cut out during high load.

Top Bottom