My Last Day Using VB4 - Whoo Hoo

Anthony Parsons

I have now prepared all the basics to shift my main forum from VB4 to XF... the lucky last one I had, and only one now, as I've converted all others and sold them already. Lucky last begins tomorrow...

As the mods continue to rollout, I will continue to add them in as I need them... looking forward to getting rid of this clunky, slow, VB4 software. Its been good, but I must admit, XF software is proving to be far more addictive for my users on other sites and really bringing back forum interaction again.

Anthony, you don't need all of us (lame forum webmasters who only want to post on our own forums) anyway, we are not good prospects for your forums and you don't need professional forum trolls hanging around telling you what to do.

Well... no more VB.

Google is smashing my server at present, grabbing all the new page content, especially as I changed posts from 10 per page to 25 per page... they nearly crashed the server grabbing them. Quick... I give them that much. Went and check listings and already they have many of the new URL's, all within 24hrs of launch.

Now to go sell my last license over at xenfans in the coming days... :D

Thought about keeping one for testing... but after their managements recent behaviour, I don't want to test their products any longer.

Is that b*tchy? O'well.

Know how you feel Anthony, just made the move myself today as well. Keeping my vb4 for another project that I might start later.

You really start appreciating Xenforo even more once you get to deal with the backend and admin panel.

will be on the look out for that link :D, good luck

Yer... any change is going to do that. I expected it and accept it, just trying to minimise it. If 50% is all, I can live with that and recover it over the next 12 months. I changed page content from 10 > 25 posts per page, and other bits and pieces... just the change in text between software, the speed of page loading, etc etc etc... is all going to shake Google and force them into reindexing everyting. The change in posts per page will change overall pages, their meanings and lots more.

Like you kkm... I also needed to just get away from them. The only thing I had to really wait on was the VB4 importer to a high quality point, which it is now, then some... thanks to PaulM and the improvements xenforo have made to the base 3.x version... that was the biggest kicker. All the rest is nice, but not essential... and I can add as it comes.

Damn... had to go do a mad dash on digitalpoint forums to get my 25 posts up. I'm one of the oldest members on the forum for registration, yet still didn't have 25 posts to be able to post in the marketplace...

Went on xenfans... but looks pretty dead, as I sold my others on wetalknation I think it was... which was good. Waiting game for the cron job on DP to run so I can post my last license.... feet tapping.

Damn... had to go do a mad dash on digitalpoint forums to get my 25 posts up. I'm one of the oldest members on the forum for registration, yet still didn't have 25 posts to be able to post in the marketplace...

Went on xenfans... but looks pretty dead, as I sold my others on wetalknation I think it was... which was good. Waiting game for the cron job on DP to run so I can post my last license.... feet tapping.

I always hated that about digitalpoint. Plus the mods over there will infract or ban you at the drop of a hat. Don't make a meaningless post just to get your post count to 25. Be careful that you post in the right forums sub/forum. And don't bump a thread. Post in the wrong forum and you get an infraction. Do it twice and you get banned. Full of scammers and Mod-Nazis. I would steer clear of Digitalpoint.

I hear ya. I told someone how nice their forum looked, and got an infraction for post padding.
Of course, that happened to me on another forum as well.

XF software is proving to be far more addictive for my users on other sites and really bringing back forum interaction again.

This is the aspect I'm most looking forward to on mine, and despite spending quite some time looking over vB4, IPB and phpBB, is missing from those. XF seems to have the X factor when it comes to a direct forum experience. It's surprising just how cluttered many forums (including my own) look and feel after spending time in here. Anyway - good luck with the moves.

Top Bottom