1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Laptop's Screen Won't Start Up.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vincent, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

When I start up my laptop, he makes the normal noice, also plays the 'Vista Startup Sound', but there's no screen :(

It's a MSI Mega Book M673

Any idea's?
  2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Try plugging in an external monitor and see if that will come up.
  3. Vincent

****, doesn't work :(
  4. Elizabeth

I think you own a brick.
  5. Vincent

I don't wanna :(
  6. Elizabeth

I didn't wanna TWICE.
  7. Vincent

Sure, whynot :D
  8. Elizabeth

Seriously, it's how I ended up with a MBP...I had a HP that turned into a brick and a Toshiba...got tired of throwing money away.
    Vincent likes this.
  9. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Few yrs back same thing happened to me with one of my Laptops lol well i had no interest to fix it all i did was Punched it twice screen & keyboard :p
    Vincent likes this.
  10. José Guedes

José Guedes Active Member

Get the laptop checked and see if you can take the graphics card off
    It should look something like this
  11. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

That never really caught on and to find notebooks with that kind of removable graphics are one in the hundreds of thousands.
    Darkimmortal likes this.
  12. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

If you have a battery installed, remove it and try booting up with only power from the wall. A bad battery can cause this sort of problem.

You can't test the graphics card by plugging in an external monitor since you'd have to change your display settings in order to turn it on. You may also have a removal graphics card since it's an MSI(as long as it's not onboard).
  13. Zuko Xi

Zuko Xi Member

You were running Vista?!
    Kinda brought it on yourself then really :D

Plug it into an external monitor but shove a Linux live disk in it and boot up from the CD. Then you can do some damage control and see what is / isn't there. If you get in and your files are there, back them up!

//EDIT I'm of course assuming there is a problem with your HDD, which having re-read it, its probably more likely to be your graphics card. However, just in case, backup your important files (if you didn't have backups already)
  14. Vincent

Thanks for all ya help, but I just purshased another one :p

I'm going to make a contest, send my laptop to the winner and let him smash it :D
  15. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

haha thats a nice idea :p Smash My Laptop
  16. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Will it blend?
    Vincent likes this.
  17. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

18. Vincent

19. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Try pressing Win+P with an external monitor attached

Not sure if it works in Vista though.
  20. erkkik

erkkik New Member

Check if you can get anything out of the screen by aiming flashlight at it while it should be at desktop. (If you can see the graphics it has broken inverter(Doesn't power up the screen background light))
    If you do, it has broken inverter, new one costs around 10$, and it's quite easy to change.