My hard disk just died (I think)

I'd recommend a SSD for your OS and pair of 1 TB (or bigger) drives in a RAID 1 (mirroring) config. The SSD gives you a great performance increase and the other two drives backup your data.
Well said.

If you aren't running your OS on an SSD by now, you're really missing out on quite a lot. Our macs use a Kingston HyperX 240Gb drive, which takes about 5 seconds to fully boot and open all set programs needed for daily stuff. I then use a Drobo FS 10TB LAN storage, configured in dual redundancy, giving about 6TB usable space configured this way, which uses a combination RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 simultaneously for maximum read / write of data, whilst keeping multiple backups, and can run fine if a drive or two drops, thus zero data loss.

If the OS drive drops, then I have a Time Machine backup of that, so one drive out, new drive in, reloads all software and away it goes with little down time as possible.

I also have a duplicate of the Drobo data online, in the event of theft... which is all done automatically via a daily sync.

I've been slowly learning over the years to not make the same mistakes...
  1. No data kept on computer HDD,
  2. Multiple backups of data in case of theft.

Must be day of the dead HDD's?

Had a customer come in today, total failure of the drive with business critical information on it and latest backup ~ 3 weeks old.

Managed to freeze-start the drive long enough to do a ghost copy of all the data to a virtual disk, as I was with the customer putting his urgently needed files onto dvd and mem stick from the copy of the drive it completely died for good.

On the upside it got me a new maintainance contract :D

I've been slowly learning over the years to not make the same mistakes...
  1. No data kept on computer HDD,
  2. Multiple backups of data in case of theft.

The next thing I want to do is to get another 2 TB drive, which I'll use to backup my current RAID 1 config. I'd then store that drive off site. I'd use an online service to back my stuff up, expect I have ~1 TB of photos and videos and a slow DSL connection.

I got my new disks yesterday, and installed it. My primary is now a 120GB SSD, and I have to say I am impressed by the speed increase, I just hope it doesn't die on me....

I also noticed just how lacking the Windows disk partitioner tool is, though the one included in Windows 7 (after install) is decent. With 3 disks, one with 4 partitions, it is a nightmare to use. I was tempted to boot up gparted just to label and prepare my disks, but in the end I managed to finally figure it out (problem was to find the correct disk, then format it, then locate the partition, cause for some reason it kept switching up the positions of the disks after each operation). It was a record fast install for me, it only took one or two hours total, as I had all the drivers ready before starting. I just had to download my AV software and Chrome, and I was ready to go.

I also confirmed that my old disk is dead, cause I am using pretty much the same setup on these disks as I did originally with the two old ones, and all 3 are working as expected.

I might do some tweaking still, for example moving steam install over to my mechanical drive, cause that is already almost 80GB in size. I wanted to try it out on my SSD though, to see how they run. Problem is that I never benchmarked on my old setup, so it will most likely be allot of perceived performance gain and unknown actual.

The next thing I want to do is to get another 2 TB drive, which I'll use to backup my current RAID 1 config. I'd then store that drive off site. I'd use an online service to back my stuff up, expect I have ~1 TB of photos and videos and a slow DSL connection.
You should do that as you go. My father is a photograph nut, also on a slow connection, but he uploads everytime he moves pictures over to his computer. He also keeps an external disk in his office as an off location backup. I never keep critical data on my computer, so I don't worry. Most of the stuff I want to keep safe are mostly things I can recover from.

Top Bottom