My experience - SMF to xenforo

principia

Hello Community - Its done.
puh.gif

Ater some month of testing and styling with my XF Forum (Im still the one and only user for that time ;)) I want to convert from my Wordpress+SMF Website to XF.
My goal was to have one software wich contains all: Article, Forum, Videos, Calendar and XF seems to do it well (accept the Articles :D)
There is an option to integrate the articles into the forum node, but I decide to wait some time until ragtek is coming out with his Article Add-on (I tested a beta and it seems to meet my demands)

Ok, converting with no converter isnt a good idea. The testconverting over VB has worked - after some trouble - but thats not what I want, because there are some things wich cannot convert and these are missing.
Waiting for an official converter? Not for me, Im old and have no time :p

So I contact Floris from Xenfans and he offers me a converting for a low budget.
And yesterday was the great day and - it worked.
Great servivce from Xenfans. This was a good deal for me, because my nerves are not so good in my age of 50. :whistle:

After the Converting I have to do some work with styling, copying and so on and 2 hours ago I go online.
Yippi. Seems that my users are busy at the moment. First comments are very positiv.

I want to say thanks to the stuffmember, special Brogan for his neverending moderation, tips and tricks.
Also a very big thank to Xenfans, they allow me to start with XF today.

If you are interested: www.fast-twitch.de (German website)

And sorry for my english

this is why I love xenforo so much, great software and just as important great community (xenfans)

that articles system sounds good, and i look forward to seeing it when it goes gold

welcome to xenforo!

I converted a SMF site to XenForo using impex and I admitt it was not easy. Avatars and attachments couldn't be transferred over and you have a BB Code issue to account for. If these things doesn't bother you, impex is a way to do the work.

Welcome to xenforo and thankyou for sharing your experience, along with the services that others can offer with xenforo too :)

We understand that not everybody has a vBulletin license and impex lying around, and that people don't have the experience in converting data over. We at xenfans have, and we're glad to help - the method isn't perfect, but it's good enough for most boards and we're happy to help until June - after which we outsource it to an official partner site run by one of our team members who has been helping converting since the get go.

I am sure xenforo eventually will have a phpbb import script, and at that point passwords will most likely be able to be mapped / converted over just like the ipb/vb one because of their internal core functions. Something I wish that ImpEx by InternetBrands.com Jelsoft had since day 1.

Anyway, glad to hear you're happy with xenforo, and that you're finally converted. Enjoy! It seems 1.1 is around the corner :) So it will only get better from now on. Your members will love the improvements.

I converted a SMF site to XenForo using impex and I admitt it was not easy. Avatars and attachments couldn't be transferred over and you have a BB Code issue to account for. If these things doesn't bother you, impex is a way to do the work.

KingK made a bbcode manager, or .. you can use Kier's post search/replace plugin to fix broken bbcodes to be compliant with xenforo.

Yeah we tested our SMF import. We had to build a password puller and redirect file so with those additions we got some real nice imports through impex.

KingK made a bbcode manager, or .. you can use Kier's post search/replace plugin to fix broken bbcodes to be compliant with xenforo.

Forgot that to mention, yes I used Kier's replace add-on Floris.

Yeah we tested our SMF import. We had to build a password puller and redirect file so with those additions we got some real nice imports through impex.

I'd love to see you share that with the miserable rest of us :D

I think SMF as well as phpBB has a huge potential for forum admins to convert ove XenForo if the right tools are presented.

Top Bottom