Must Make 10 Posts Before Intro?

Divinum Fiat

Hey everyone,
I'm a bit confused about some unexplainable settings on my own board. How embarrassing. New users, after registration, are guided to first introduce themselves in the 'meet and greet' section (I'm using ragtek's welcome add-on). And it worked fine all these months. But suddenly new users are told that they have to first make 10 posts before they start their own thread. I'm baffled because no one has access to my board admin and I can't figure out where the settings are where it says they have to first make 10 posts before making their own posts. That doesn't even make sense!

Does anyone know where this setting is? I can't seem to find it anywhere. :p:eek:

This is the most bizarre thing. Apparently I have an add-on (have been having it for a while), called "Minimum Number of Posts to Post Links." It was set to 10. What doesn't make sense is that this add-on has to do with someone being able to post links, not posts. It hasn't disallowed new people from posting posts, suddenly it's not even allowing them to make posts. Strange indeed. Will find the add-on section and post an inquiry there. Thanks, Jake!

Are they trying to post links? It might sound like they are getting a error message related to that addon. You might want to check out the phrases, and see if you can find the error message. Those usually indicates where it comes from.

The default behaviour of xF is to not show users anything they can't do, so it is a safe guess that an addon is throwing out this error.

No, that's the thing, they're not even trying to post a link. Just a simple introduction of who they are. No links in text and no links in the signature, but they still get that message. I now changed that setting to '0' so they can post. Too bad, would love to prevent people from posting links until I know they are not wanting to spam the board.

No, that's the thing, they're not even trying to post a link. Just a simple introduction of who they are. No links in text and no links in the signature, but they still get that message. I now changed that setting to '0' so they can post. Too bad, would love to prevent people from posting links until I know they are not wanting to spam the board.
As an alternate measure, you could go for one of the CAPTCHA plugins in the Resource Database, I use Are you a Human: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/are-you-a-human.1012/
It seems to work fairly good, but I am not entirely sure if I am still being targeted, but not a single spam sign up since I installed it a week or two ago.

That's good to know, thank you. I must say, In almost a year I have not had more than maybe 4 or 5 obnoxious individuals sign up and just manually cut and paste a link on each member saying "Hi, I'm looking for a relationship" - or something of that nature. I'm all over it minutes after and ban the user. Only one of them resigned up 10 minutes later and tried again, I cancelled them again and they never came back. I think it was too much work for them. lol.

I've never had a problem with manual spammers, those are a bit trickier to deal with. What I really dread is being hit hard with automated spammers, that can create 1000s of spam posts in a short time. A forum I was running a few years back got trageted, and there I started logging the attempts, and at the worst we had 50+ registration attempts per day.

Wow, that's just nauseating. Shows you how desperate people are and how inauthentic at the same time... sad really. I do use a manual question that everyone has to answer, this helps. And our board is about spirituality and unconditional love, so I think we attract a different kind of user all together, this might help too, not sure. Blessings Magnus. :-)

Top Bottom