Add-on Multiview

Valhalla

As part of a personal project to become more familiar with the workings of XenForo and its development principles, I was considering creating an add-on.

This thread is almost entirely for my benefit. It is mostly to allow me to detail my progress, but anyone can post if they want to. I want to create an add-on, but I have been reluctant to do so because I'm concerned the idea is not very appealing.

The general idea of the add-on would be to enable users to view threads from more than one node, on a single page, or 'forum_view'. Nodes which are selected as "added to Multiview"' would be viewable from a separate page. This page would be accessible through a link added to the navigation bar.

It might be useful to users who are much more active on only a handful of boards, but less so on others. Having this option would stop them having to navigate back-and-forth between boards, and would focus their attention within only the boards they are interested in. It would all be accessible on only one page.

I have already made some progress with it.

Actually, now I've typed all of that, it doesn't seem like such a good idea after all. ;)

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.16.21.webp

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.03.15.webp

I like the idea, I don't necessarily like the name. I also think there could be a benefit of replacing the index route with it if the user has boards added. As a forum user, I would use it... here even. There's a few boards on this forum I never check, it'd save me a lot of scrolling.

I'm pleased to say I have nearly finished this addon (in its first form). There are still some changes I want to make though.

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 20.56.22.webp Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 20.59.03 1.webp Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 21.00.24.webp

Top Bottom