Multiple solutions

TFW

I thought someone has suggested this before, but I can't find any thread about it.

Is there any chance to give us ability to mark more than one answer as "solutions" in Question Forum? Sometimes people answer correctly but only partially. So it would be good to have possibility to choose more than one answer to feature full solution.

Upvote 9
Sometimes people answer correctly but only partially
So this should not be selected as a solution if it is only partial ... There are also votes on each answer which allows users to bring up the best answers with a single click.
It's good to want to change things, but making good use of existing tools for your users is also good!
The first thing to do in your case is that members do not select an answer as a solution if it is only partial. If my question is how to clean an injector and the answer selected as the solution is: "open the hood of the car" it is obvious that in this case there is a misuse of the "solution" function.

So this should not be selected as a solution if it is only partial ... There are also votes on each answer which allows users to bring up the best answers with a single click.
It's good to want to change things, but making good use of existing tools for your users is also good!
The first thing to do in your case is that members do not select an answer as a solution if it is only partial. If my question is how to clean an injector and the answer selected as the solution is: "open the hood of the car" it is obvious that in this case there is a misuse of the "solution" function.
But I could see in some areas where someone might provide a perfectly valid, complete answer, but someone else might provide an alternative. Or someone's answer might be good, but someone still finds room to expand on it. And there are cases where there is no black and white "right answer" just a best answer

For instance, my board is a religion board. Someone could post a question thread about interpretation of a Bible passage. One person might post an interpretation that gets marked as a solution. Then someone else post another, well-supported interpretation that also meets the questioners needs. Why not have it marked as a solution, too?

I know these aren't what many here think of as subjects for a question thread, but why not?

And it could be an option can be turned on per forum or even per thread when appropriate.

In your case the vote on the answers corresponds perfectly. It just needs to be used well. There are indeed questions which do not have definitive and indisputable solutions except in mathematics ...

Yes, multiple solutions is a needed improvement.
Not all answers are factual or objective, so when the answer has subjective meaning you need this option.

Sort by votes to see the highest voted answers, marking as solution should only be one. That does not invalidate the rest which can be seen by vote.

You can always turn the mark as solution function off but keep votes to answers on so your users can sort by highest votes to see all the solutions in order without one being marked. To me that's better than multiple being marked.

Top Bottom