Lack of interest Multi site installation / shared database

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

SneakyDave

This would REALLY be a time saver for me, if there was some way to configure XenForum for multiple sites, with either different databases for each, or maybe even the same database potentially.

The key would be one code base (although I wouldn't mind paying for multiple licenses or a discount on a 5 license package) that needs maintained. I wouldn't even mind if the add on system forced me to use the same addons across all the sites, and the CSS could be separated for each instance.

Might be a lot of work this late in the game, but maybe for version 2.0, 5.0, or whatever the naming convention is going to be used?

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ashley,

is it possible to run 2 Forum-installs with one user-database ?
Meaning I want to run 2 Forum-installs on one domain (so one install being in english and another in german language).

Is there any other solution available of how to do this ?

Not sure whether my question relates to the topic of the OP ?

Erich, empirically no, it would be a semi-solution: reconciling a single database with two front-ends could be unwieldy, true federation would be ideal.

I once had vb3.x.x with a dual domain cross login pluggin feature custom made for me to integrate with joomla.... BAD!! Though this is a great idea it should be on the back burner until a safe stable way to do this is discovered (unless there is one that I don't know about) I had Horrible nightmares for weeks after that.
Have you checked out jFusion? They are a MUCH better solution for integrating Joomla! with vB...

Erich, empirically no, it would be a semi-solution: reconciling a single database with two front-ends could be unwieldy, true federation would be ideal.

well, I just want to run a Forum in 2 languages.
Maybe this is also possible to achieve with just one Forum-install (like at VB) ?

Setting-up a few Forum-categories in english-language and a few Forum-categories in german-language might be the simplest solution (with a language-switch to change the software-language).
Would you think this would work nice in terms of providing a clean User-Interface ? Does anyone of you having such a 2-language set-up installed like with VB ?
What are your experience with running a Forum in 2 languages ?

I am just a bit unsure whether such a set-up will confuse users or if this would make perfect sense....

well, I just want to run a Forum in 2 languages.
Maybe this is also possible to achieve with just one Forum-install (like at VB) ?

Setting-up a few Forum-categories in english-language and a few Forum-categories in german-language might be the simplest solution (with a language-switch to change the software-language).
Would you think this would work nice in terms of providing a clean User-Interface ? Does anyone of you having such a 2-language set-up installed like with VB ?
What are your experience with running a Forum in 2 languages ?

I am just a bit unsure whether such a set-up will confuse users or if this would make perfect sense....
They have a phrase/language system just like vBulletin; you can run multiple languages more then likely.

It is something that we have considered. There are issues and as yet, we do not have a satisfactory solution. That said, we are not even close to trying to implement something like this, even if we did have a plan ;)
You could look at Wordpress MU (now in 3.0) for ideas. :)

They have a phrase/language system just like vBulletin; you can run multiple languages more then likely.

yeah, I do know this.

I guess my question is this:

when setting up a few forum-categories in english and a few forum-categories in german-language:
- is there a chance to display german-forum-categories ONLY, when selecting the "german"-language interface of the website ?
- same for english: showing-up english-Forum-categories ONLY when switching to the english-language-template ?

So literally showing 2 SEPARATE language interfaces to the user.
Not having a mix of different languages at the Forum-overview or at any other place within the Forum.

yeah, I do know this.

I guess my question is this:

when setting up a few forum-categories in english and a few forum-categories in german-language:
- is there a chance to display german-forum-categories ONLY, when selecting the "german"-language interface of the website ?
- same for english: showing-up english-Forum-categories ONLY when switching to the english-language-template ?

So literally showing 2 SEPARATE language interfaces to the user.
Not having a mix of different languages at the Forum-overview or at any other place within the Forum.
This could probably be accomplished with a modification quite easily. :)

Have you checked out jFusion? They are a MUCH better solution for integrating Joomla! with vB...

Well seeing as the pluggin your talking about is the from the same people i'm talking about and i don't want to bash a whole website based on one person... the basics are before that pluggin was released or at least the current version my needs required something custom and I had that done by someone at that site. Problem was i feel like I was used as a test patient on my working forum at the time and suffice it to say I will never use one of their products again, and the main reason I suggested the things I did here is because I don't ever want to have to bridge two pieces of software again and when would be a better time to say include this in the build then before it's built.

I'm not so concerned about single sign on, although that'd be a nice option I just want one code base being able to serve different sites, whether that's one database, or many databases.

I'm not so concerned about single sign on, although that'd be a nice option I just want one code base being able to serve different sites, whether that's one database, or many databases.
I wonder, if a file is called through a symbolic link, would an include() call start from the actual file's directory, or the directory of the symbolic link? If it's the latter, you could probably accomplish this with a whole lot of symbolic links. It's not the best solution, but... :)

I agree on the single-sign on thing, and I suggested something similar here where you may not even have to have an XF in order into sign into the site (at least one site would need an installation though).

Being infected by the joindiaspora project (https://joindiaspora.com), I like the idea that users can have friends from different domains where webmasters or admins are using the same software without signing up on that particular site. This means that I can see the activity stream of a friend, send private messages to my friend & comment on his status updates without ever leaving my site eventhough my friend is on a different domain.

This feature is like magic & I would think that such a software could grow strong very rapidly because users benefit from it a lot. Just think about how many times you had to sign up at different vbulletin sites because you wanted to get involved in a particular topic.

I Currently own 2 Domains, and am thinking of getting a new License for Xenforo for my second Domain, But i would love to have Unified User Tables.

My thoughts would be this could be accomplished by having Xenforo Connect to 2 Databases. One for User Data (Which could have Pre-existing data) and the other like it is currently.

During installation it should have the standard install but have an advanced tab (Or something similar) which will allow you to specify a secondary User Database :P

Hope This will get considered :P It could prove helpful to a lot of users :P

Top Bottom