XF 1.3 Moving threads in 1.3

tommydamic68

I found it quite odd having to move threads from one to another since the 1.3 change. Not sure if i didn't use it as designed or its just not put together well. Here is the example. A member starts a thread 2 months ago about a sick animal, there is the original thread and 15 posts from members on the thread. The member starts an "update" thread elsewhere, so i want to "move" (i would call it merge however) the new threads "updated" threads to the old thread. But you have to pick each post as well along with the thread? You should be able to choose thread and move its entirety to the old thread via the URL - isn't that how it should work?

You should be able to choose the thread entirely and move it to a URL from right here - no? Click the box >move thread > type in destination URL> it places the new thread and posts at the bottom - wallah!

Edit:
Is it suppose to leave an error page like so after move?
Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 7.25.21 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 7.20.59 AM.webp

You're using the wrong function if you want to merge threads. You should use "Merge Threads..." for this. Select the threads you want to merge, then in the Inline Moderation dropdown choose "Merge Threads...". From there you can select the destination thread and whether or not you have any redirects. The threads will be merged with posts appearing in the correct date order.

You're using the wrong function if you want to merge threads. You should use "Merge Threads..." for this. Select the threads you want to merge, then in the Inline Moderation dropdown choose "Merge Threads...". From there you can select the destination thread and whether or not you have any redirects. The threads will be merged with posts appearing in the correct date order.
So then what is the purpose of move threads with option to use a URL destination?

Why would you only move posts?
Because someone goes off-topic in a thread and the posts can then be moved to a new thread or an existing thread as required. Or someone simply posts a reply in the wrong thread.

*EDIT* Same as Brogan, I've also moved more posts than merged threads, typically splitting them off and starting a new thread but on occasions moved posts to the correct thread.

Top Bottom