Moving the copyright message that some add-ons have

Cala_Marie

(I won't actually touch anything related to these messages unless it's confirmed that I can.)

For example, XenAtendo displays the following message directly beneath itself:
XenAtendo © Jason Axelrod from 8WAYRUN.COM

Would it be appropriate to move such messages down to the global footer, like so?
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.
  • XenAtendo © Jason Axelrod from 8WAYRUN.COM
  • Example Software © Lorem Ipsum Co.
  • Tikka Masala Sauce by Chicken Tonight
Or should I leave them in place?

My main reason for wanting to do this is organization. One benefit is that it gets displayed 100% of the time. One downside is that it's more out of the way.

It's been discussed at length before, with heated arguements both ways.

In short, ask the individual author first, and get their consent.

It's been discussed at length before, with heated arguements both ways.

In short, ask the individual author first, and get their consent.
OK then, thanks. Also, if you think this thread might devolve into a flame war you can lock it (or delete it altogether).

I don't mind an author getting credit where credit is due. I can respect that.

But if the author places it in order to be detracting and "seemingly" forcing the idea of purchasing branding removal... It's getting relocated into the footer. They cry foul all they want.

Should note that I only do such in extreme cases... ie... I forgot what the add-on was, but it ended up putting their copyright in everyone's signature. Few edits and into the footer.

The author ended up deleting the add-on in the long run anyways. And we decided we didn't need it and so it got uninstalled.

I don't mind an author getting credit where credit is due. I can respect that.

But if the author places it in order to be detracting and "seemingly" forcing the idea of purchasing branding removal... It's getting relocated into the footer. They cry foul all they want.

Should note that I only do such in extreme cases... ie... I forgot what the add-on was, but it ended up putting their copyright in everyone's signature. Few edits and into the footer.

The author ended up deleting the add-on in the long run anyways. And we decided we didn't need it and so it got uninstalled.
Even in situations such as these, its still the proper thing to do to contact the author before moving it.

Top Bottom