Moving site w/no cpanel or FTP access?

Mike Krall

I'm sure people have had crazier questions, right? :)

I have a forum with xenforo 1.4.x and (yes I know it's not a xenforo issue) my host's cpanel link isn't working and they previously reset my FTP access and I have no way to access anything. They don't answer support tickets so I assume I'm basically screwed.

I looked around at using add-ons to do a backup, but that looks like a no go without file access.

So there's not way to backup the database from the admin panel? I remember being able to do something like that with our old SMF forum software.

Thanks for the help!

...my host's cpanel link isn't working...

Instead of using whatever link they gave you, try yourdomain.com/cpanel yourdomain.com:2082 yourdomain.com:2083

If it's actually cPanel and not some imitation, you can get to cPanel that way. Now whether or not your cPanel credentials are still valid is another story. Your host might also have it set up so you can reset your password from the cPanel login page, which will get you back in business.

Instead of using whatever link they gave you, try yourdomain.com/cpanel yourdomain.com:2082 yourdomain.com:2083

If it's actually cPanel and not some imitation, you can get to cPanel that way. Now whether or not your cPanel credentials are still valid is another story. Your host might also have it set up so you can reset your password from the cPanel login page, which will get you back in business.

View attachment 194544

Thanks for the help WSWD! I tried that and it didn't work.

I sent in another support ticket and finally got an answer. They use HSphere and said that apparently is a platform that's no longer supported and they are working towards migrating to a new platform. They actually moved one of my domains to the new platform a couple of years ago so why on earth they didn't move the rest is beyond me. With them taking a month + to answer a support ticket I'm pretty much going to have to stay with their hosting for now.

That's unacceptable.

You need a new host. Chances are tech support at a new host could find a way to grab your files regardless of your limitations.

That's unacceptable.

You need a new host. Chances are tech support at a new host could find a way to grab your files regardless of your limitations.

Well I saw the writing on the wall and started to move my domains, emails and files. Unfortunately for me the remaining stuff is on their old Hsphere platform so I'm stuck. I guess I have to pay for renewal and hope they restore access so I can finish moving.

You're welcome! Yeah, without that access, you're pretty much screwed. Hopefully they'll get you the login info soon.

Do you have SSH access?

If so, you could mysqldump the database and scp the output and XF files to another host with SSH.

Top Bottom