Moving servers, edit config on old server or VPS ttl to avoid downtime

wtgw

I am moving from oldserver to newserver and want to minimize downtime. Would it be better to edit config.php on oldserver to access the database on newserver would editing the DNS TTL to 5 minutes work just as well?

I'm not sure how to edit config.php's host and port to point to newserver, any help?

I am moving from oldserver to newserver and want to minimize downtime. Would it be better to edit config.php on oldserver to access the database on newserver would editing the DNS TTL to 5 minutes work just as well?

I'm not sure how to edit config.php's host and port to point to newserver, any help?
What I did when I moved was set my TTL to a around 300 , made the IP change, and then on the old server I just checked the option to mark it as Down in the ACP. Imported my DB into the new server after doing this - logged in and re-enabled it via the ACP. I was able to access it by the domain name within a few minutes. Others took a little longer but I had sent out an email blast to them to let them know about the move to the new server.

Top Bottom