Lack of interest More variations of "none"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Luxus

XenForo uses the phrase "none" for multiple things and make sense because it's english. But if you want to translate "none" to other languages you can't avoid grammatical errors. For german you need to translate "none" to three different words to make up for the 3 genders requiring different translations.

I have prepared a picture showing you where "nones" are used and what grammatical gender they have:

none.webp

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
XenForo is English-centric. It would seem silly to me to just split up one phrase into 3 so you have none_neutral, none_feminine and none_masculine. You just have to work it out under the current framework.

(I've done English to Chinese translation before and this bugs me all the time, but I can't just change the templates just to fit the code)

XenForo is English-centric. It would seem silly to me to just split up one phrase into 3 so you have none_neutral, none_feminine and none_masculine. You just have to work it out under the current framework.

(I've done English to Chinese translation before and this bugs me all the time, but I can't just change the templates just to fit the code)
There is nothing silly about it at all. XenForo already uses multiple phrases with the same name, but not for "none".

Here is an example for multiple phrases with the same name used.
Code:
<phrase title="open_report" addon_id="XenForo" [...] ><![CDATA[Open]]></phrase>
<phrase title="open_thread" addon_id="XenForo" [...] ><![CDATA[Open]]></phrase>

So really, nothing silly about this.

XenForo offers a language system so it's designed to work on many languages and not only english.

This is the same as right to left text. None forum software can make an exception on this

XenForo offers a language system so it's designed to work on many languages and not only english.

This is the same as right to left text. None forum software can make an exception on this

The design is still English-centric. The original themes are made in English so normally I would expect that as a translator, I am stuck with the phrases I have.

Code:

That's not the same. Reports and threads are not the same thing, English or otherwise.

Code:

Those don't actually use the same name. Same content, yes, but not same name.

The design is still English-centric. The original themes are made in English so normally I would expect that as a translator, I am stuck with the phrases I have.

That's not the same. Reports and threads are not the same thing, English or otherwise.
That's not the point. Your point was

Phrase 1 = Open
Phrase 2 = Open
=> silly

So in your opinion only

Phrase 1 = Open
would suffice for both since their content is identical.

Those don't actually use the same name. Same content, yes, but not same name.
By name obviously I mean the content of the phrase = Open.

Top Bottom