More than 1 000 lines in my extra.css, will this affect load time ?

• Thread starter Thread starter account8226
  • Start date Start date
A

account8226

Hello,

After making some changes to one of my theme, I now have more than 1 000 lines in my extra.css file (it's a lot, but I've not made any other template edits except from style's editor's).

I'm afraid all of these lines affect my site speed, what is your opinion about that ?

I think your site will be fine I have probably twice as much as that residing in my EXTRA.CSS and notice zero slowing

Amazing! That's cool I can go on making my theme more personal without anu restriction, that was the only thing I was afraid of!

Have you got a new website Shelley ? I really love how your webdesign is.

Basically: On really slow browsers, your page may be rendered slightly more slowly due to the extra CSS it needs to parse. It will also make your CSS files slightly bigger in file size. Both of these things are minuscule, though, and not worth worrying about. I am personally extremely OCD and like to keep my CSS as compact as possible, but in the real world it's not necessary at all unless you've got a massive, massive site and the extra kilobytes of bandwidth would make a big difference to you. If that were the case, you'd already know :)

Basically: On really slow browsers, your page may be rendered slightly more slowly due to the extra CSS it needs to parse. It will also make your CSS files slightly bigger in file size. Both of these things are minuscule, though, and not worth worrying about. I am personally extremely OCD and like to keep my CSS as compact as possible, but in the real world it's not necessary at all unless you've got a massive, massive site and the extra kilobytes of bandwidth would make a big difference to you. If that were the case, you'd already know :)

Ok I understand, thanks for the clear awnser, so we can make our styles without to worry about this :D

Putting all into extra.css creates a hughe overload of possible unneccesary CSS code on many pages. It's a way, but not a good way.

I have less than 100 Lines in my extra.css - I change most in Style-Properties, added new style properties with an addon. Changed some classes with TMS. Updates are no Problem, and the code will stay clear.

So much lines in ons CSS is very dirty coding. And yes, it will effect the load time for the first visit. It slows down the render time in slow browsers and on mobile devices.

Putting all into extra.css creates a hughe overload of possible unneccesary CSS code on many pages. It's a way, but not a good way.

I have less than 100 Lines in my extra.css - I change most in Style-Properties, added new style properties with an addon. Changed some classes with TMS. Updates are no Problem, and the code will stay clear.

So much lines in ons CSS is very dirty coding. And yes, it will effect the load time for the first visit. It slows down the render time in slow browsers and on mobile devices.

The more you get in-depth the more you'll find style properties are limited. Don't get me wrong... style properties are amazing... but they could be improved that's for sure.

What add-on allow you to add more style propreties ? Custom one ?

The more you get in-depth the more you'll find style properties are limited. Don't get me wrong... style properties are amazing... but they could be improved that's for sure.

How many extra.css lines are their in your fusion gamer theme ?

What add-on allow you to add more style propreties ? Custom one ?
In debug mode, you can create new style properties and assign them to either a style or an add-on. It won't really help make EXTRA.css a great deal smaller - you just move the code elsewhere - but it does make things much easier for non-technical users who want to customise your style. For example, in one of my styles I had a background that could change colour via CSS and a pattern. I created a style property to control that colour, so people didn't have to dig around in the CSS to change it. Although the code for it is still in the CSS files and thus has no performance/filesize benefit, I can use XenForo's excellent template syntax to make things a lot easier on the end user.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, though :)

In debug mode, you can create new style properties and assign them to either a style or an add-on. It won't really help make EXTRA.css a great deal smaller - you just move the code elsewhere - but it does make things much easier for non-technical users who want to customise your style. For example, in one of my styles I had a background that could change colour via CSS and a pattern. I created a style property to control that colour, so people didn't have to dig around in the CSS to change it. Although the code for it is still in the CSS files and thus has no performance/filesize benefit, I can use XenForo's excellent template syntax to make things a lot easier on the end user.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, though :)

Thanks for the help, yes I don't have the time to create such custom style proprieties ^^

Exactly why I stick to use TMS and style properties.
@OP: If you have finished your site, you can use digitalpoint's CSS Compressor or any Compressor to save some KBs. Although I recommend making a backup of your uncompressed EXTRA.css as it's a pain to manage a compressed CSS file.

Top Bottom