1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 more permissions for banned users

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by martni, Apr 18, 2015.

1. martni

martni Member

if I ban some user, he cant do anything, even read threads and conversations

how can I change permissions for banned users? I want them to read threads and conversations, but cant write.

is there some add-on? or some settings for it in admin CP?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It would require custom development.

3. martni

martni Member

4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Don't ban users. Set a group's permissions to be what you want, revoking most permissions and use a warning + warning action to "ban" them.

5. martni

martni Member

so what about banlist?
    what about ban and unban buttons?

6. Brogan

It would all require custom development.

A ban in XF is total - no part of the forum is accessible to banned members.

7. martni

martni Member

better solution in vbulletin - if i ban somebody, he moves to usergroup Banned, and I can set permissions for this group. This is universal solution, some admins can set total ban on their forums, and other admins can set it by different way. Choice is better than no choice ;)

8. Brogan

You can achieve exactly the same with the warning system.

Amaury likes this.
  9. martni

martni Member

No. Than doesnt work banlist and Ban\Unban buttons

10. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Well-Known Member

The important thing is to stop thinking about "Ban" because "Ban" in XF is total. What YOU want is reduced permissions and this is how to achieve that:

1: Create a secondary usergroup which has REDUCED/REMOVED permissions so that members in it can (only) do the things you want and nothing more. I'd recommend NOT using the term "Banned" here to avoid any confusion with a true ban. Another term - we use "Suspended" - is preferable.
    2: Create a suitable Warning or Warnings and a Warning Action that adds members with n points to this usergroup.

Amaury likes this.
  11. martni

martni Member

i know it, but it is inconvenient to use
    this way i cant use banlist, and cant ban\unban in one click

12. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

It's not that many clicks to put them back into the user group with full permissions, either.

@Harpers Tate's solution is the recommended way.

13. martni

martni Member

this way banlist is empty

14. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Well-Known Member

Yes, but you can search in the AdminCP for members who are in the UserGroup = "Suspended" (or insert your name for it).

15. martni

martni Member

I use banlist plugin for frontend

16. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member