Monitor causes severe eye-strain problems

As a medical doctor, dehydration reduce tear production leading to eye strain/dry eye. To relieve eye strain, use lubricant eye drops and drink plenty of water each two to three hours. Make sure you use good lighting and sit at a proper distance from the screen. Good luck.

@trapped_soul I understand how you feel. It's awful!
It is isn't it? It's quite debilitating especially if you have to work long hours and it triggers such nasty headaches.
FYI, Windows 10 now has the ability to change the colour temperature based on time of day, so additional software isn't required.

View attachment 162129
Excellent, thanks for that. Will have a look and see what more I can do combined with the monitor settings.
As a medical doctor, dehydration reduce tear production leading to eye strain/dry eye. To relieve eye strain, use lubricant eye drops and drink plenty of water each two to three hours. Make sure you use good lighting and sit at a proper distance from the screen. Good luck.
Good tip thank you, I drink far too much coffee and not enough water, which may help. :)

But an other monitor helps also. With some i have no problem without glasses and f.lux
That's very important information. You have no problems on some other monitors. Why is that so? Exactly. That is something I want to get to. I want to find a monitor that does not hurt my eyes so bad like my currently new one LED LCD with "FlickerFreeEcoSmartAutoSuperDupperEtc"... hm, those commercial tags... Why should I use extra software or amber tinted glasses (which I also own...!) so see XenForo looking buhhhh??? I know monitors can be great with real colors and no eye-strain. Got one at home, but it's kinda old and too small.

FYI, Windows 10 now has the ability to change the colour temperature based on time of day, so additional software isn't required.
Yes, just found those options a few days before. Thank you.

Don't worry, I have waterfall in my throat. I really drink a lot of water. I trying to take into account all of these.

Great thread. Glad I'm not the only one. My eyes burn like hell after a few hours online.
Great! No, not for your eye burning problems, but for I looks like there are more of us. I hope someone find a solution, so, a pleasant screen to look at. I'll try to post any new info I get on this topic.

Thank you all who participate.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I had the same problem and adding some bias lighting helped me tremendously. Here's an article that someone posted on Reddit: https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/ho...le-watching-tv-and-gaming-with-bias-lighting/

I bought a small USB-powered LED strip off Amazon for about £10, not only does it look sweet but it's pretty much eliminated my eye strain problem. "Your Mileage May Vary" applies, but for a tenner there isn't really much risk :)

PS: I would recommend plugging the USB into the monitor directly if it has a USB slot, as this allows the LED strip to turn off when you turn the monitor off.

If your monitor does not have a USB slot, I would recommend plugging the strip into a wall socket rather than your computer. It could be unrelated, but while the LED strip was connected to my computer, using 3.5mm audio produced a crackle that some internet forums theorised could be down to electrical interference.

Unplugging the LED strip reduced the crackle but did not eliminate it, so there's a non-zero chance I may have caused a bit of damage to my motherboard as a result. Thankfully my monitor has an audio-out jack and DisplayPort carries audio, so when I use my monitor instead of the front or rear audio jacks on my computer I get no crackle whatsoever.

And yes, I do see the irony of saying "not much risk" and then writing a small dissertation about the potential risk to your motherboard :P

Fillip

yes, maybe I need glasses too.
that suggest you need to see an optometrist and have your eyes checked if you haven't already

I'm pretty sure I am in front of a monitor screen longer than average compared to many folks here. I wear prescription glasses (short sighted) and I am using 2x Dell U2410 LCD monitors for years set on lower brightness/contrast settings ~50/50 without problems.

@DragonByte Tech Interesting reading, thanks. I use bias light to point my desk lamp into the wall behinf my monitor. Maybe I'll think of some warm lightning for bias.

@eva2000 yes, maybe I'll go see him. Actually I've had some general medical examination because of my work (need to go to examination every three years) and they say I see like an eagle. It wasn't an optometrist, but I guess it was good enough when I looked at those machines.

Interesting, Dell U2410 is again a non-LED monitor. Another one in the shortlist.

Maybe we can list some monitors that you use for day work and which are ok for you, so we, the sensitive ones :P, can do a shortlist.

Tomorrow I'll go to one of the biggest computer store in the city and I'll check some monitors. The problem is you can't ask any body about anything there. Well, you can, but mostly you know more then those who sell monitors. Second problem is that I can't see if it's ok for my eyes by looking at monitor for just a few minutes. We'll see...

@eva2000 yes, maybe I'll go see him. Actually I've had some general medical examination because of my work (need to go to examination every three years) and they say I see like an eagle. It wasn't an optometrist, but I guess it was good enough when I looked at those machines.
My wife sees like an eagle as well but she suffers the same as you when she is in front of a monitor. I'd say eye strain isn't particularly caused due to lack of glasses.

Thank you for this information. I also think that I don't need glasses if I can look at my laptop for a few hours with no particular eye-strain. But yes, I'm not a doctor.

Unbelivable, I went to a computer store today... A few monitors were powered on, looking at their screens and my eyes started to hurt. And I was good for a few hours again...

Anyway, like I've said already, the problem is to find a good seller that knows what is he selling. A guy, which was obiously boring and I quite annoyed him, told me that all monitors are LED, I asked if they are all edge lit, he say I guess, expensive ones aren't, sorry, I will need to look the specs.... Well, he didn't look for it...

So I'm stuck again. Just send an email to another store that promotes counseling for monitors etc. I hope they've ever heard for eye-strain, flickering, LED, edge lit etc.

You have tot hin
Unbelivable, I went to a computer store today... A few monitors were powered on, looking at their screens and my eyes started to hurt. And I was good for a few hours again...

Anyway, like I've said already, the problem is to find a good seller that knows what is he selling. A guy, which was obiously boring and I quite annoyed him, told me that all monitors are LED, I asked if they are all edge lit, he say I guess, expensive ones aren't, sorry, I will need to look the specs.... Well, he didn't look for it...

So I'm stuck again. Just send an email to another store that promotes counseling for monitors etc. I hope they've ever heard for eye-strain, flickering, LED, edge lit etc.

With LCD screen you don;t have to problem or less? That would be your best bet then, but hard to find in new laptop/pc screen. I would try to stay away from LED if that is the case.

Top Bottom