ModSecurity Tripped Yesterday

jim83

I had some trouble with my forum yesterday and it took forever for my host to get back to me...but they eventually did and said that trouble I was having (couldn't access my forum OR cPanel) because somehow I triggered ModSecurity.

I have shared hosting now. My old forum was hosted on a VPN, and I was able to make certain changes to ModSecurity.

Now, with my shared hosting service, it seems I can only enable it/disable it.

Any idea why this might have happened? Are there settings that might be able to relax on my own within cPanel?

I'd appreciate any input on this as I don't want it to happen again. It was really annoying and it took forever for my host to whitelist my IP address. Thanks!

It's a question for your host as they control the server and your access to it.

It sounds like for shared hosting they don't allow you to manage the whitelisting yourself.

It's a question for your host as they control the server and your access to it.

It sounds like for shared hosting they don't allow you to manage the whitelisting yourself.

Thanks...that's what I thought. I just don't know cPanel all that well and I was thinking maybe there was a different section within cPanel where I could make adjustments on my own. I'll have to contact the host and see what they say. I sure would hate to have to contact them every time this happens, especially if this becomes a regular thing.

I sure would hate to have to contact them every time this happens, especially if this becomes a regular thing.

That's how it works with shared hosting, fortunately or unfortunately. If individual users were allowed to bypass the server security, it wouldn't be very secure. As annoying as it might be, those annoyances are what help keep your site from being bruteforced, hacked, etc.

If you need control over those things, you need to run your own VPS again or dedicated server.

Top Bottom