Mods hosted on xenforo.com - Free or Paid ?

They have, however it won't stop people from trying to make their own site and trying to move people to that.
Unless those sites can come out with something unique and awesome cool mods, sites like that will most likely fail. Why go elsewhere when you can get the official thing here.

Actually we're not sure who did it xD
We suddenly found one of our mods edited to remove all references to the Pro product with no moderator name behind it even though we got it cleared by Paul M to post the info we did post.

Wasnt me then ;)

The only problem with allowing discussion of paid modifications is that people quickly abuse it and simply use it for blatent (free) advertising (basically spamming).

I like the idea of the mods forum being here for centralized discussion and moderation.

On the paid mods discussion, I actually think a marketplace kind of thing draws more developers, not less. Quality will always vary.

All kidding aside. How the mod situation is handled is going to be an extremely important decision, it will be interesting.
Agreed, i'de like to see something unique and innovative. [shouldn't be too hard since that's basically all they've been doing lately :D]

Not some extra forums created to the side with attachments system for uploading and a bunch of posts saying reserved for future updates.

I'll be surprised if they allow paid mods as they didn't allow it at vB when it was their baby.

FWIW, I don't do commercial mods anymore, but I will always pay for a mod where I can and I still try to release FoC mods where I can too.

People who expect and especially those that demand that others work for free for them and those that actively work against allowing others to benefit financially from their hard work without themselves contributing are all takers and users.

There are only a couple (tops) commercial scripts that are profitable. In fact, I would bet the average commercial mod for vB brings in circa 50 pence per hour when you fold in the coding, testing and support. If commercial mods are not allowed, then I would suggest a system that only allows you to download a mod after you submit one to the community - then lets see how fast some peeps attitudes shift ;)

I'll be surprised if they allow paid mods as they didn't allow it at vB when it was their baby.

FWIW, I don't do commercial mods anymore, but I will always pay for a mod where I can and I still try to release FoC mods where I can too.

People who expect and especially those that demand that others work for free for them and those that actively work against allowing others to benefit financially from their hard work without themselves contributing are all takers and users.

There are only a couple (tops) commercial scripts that are profitable. In fact, I would bet the average commercial mod for vB brings in circa 50 pence per hour when you fold in the coding, testing and support. If commercial mods are not allowed, then I would suggest a system that only allows you to download a mod after you submit one to the community - then lets see how fast some peeps attitudes shift ;)
Any ideas how to set things up? If you could make the decisions, any thoughts as to how you might do it?

?

I don't think it makes sense for us to be hosting paid mods, unless we got into the app store sort of thing, which really isn't feasible (at least in the short term).
I totally agree. I will release free mods here and the paid ones will be on my site.

What about the admins who are not coders or designers??
I'm thinking that wouldn't work.

Of course it wouldn't work :D
Just pointing out that its ironic to demand free goods AND refuse to pitch in.

Xenforo will want as many free mods as possible as that is a legit selling point (as it was with vB). Most mod authors are actually happy to do it for free so there won't really be too much of a problem as long as the system is easy enough to mod for.

Anyhoo.... this is what I would do:

Have a price field for mods.
By DEFAULT have only FoC mods shown in a list (however they display/categorise... preferably with tag like capabilities)
Make it so someone has to physically tick a box to display paid mods
Ensure that people can rate mods based on multiple fields (like value, support, etc...)

Will this make all mods go paid? No way José. The vast majority of people don't code for cash (IMO more people charge for IPB mods because it has a much larger learning curve to start modding for).

The biggest problem is not the implementation, it is that management of the system (e.g. complaints, MiA coders, charge back disputes, etc...). But with careful considerations and sensible systems, there is no reason why these cannot be managed and for Xenforo to actually leverage paid mods as an actual feature of the system!

Anyhoo.... this is what I would do:

Have a price field for mods.
By DEFAULT have only FoC mods shown in a list (however they display/categorise... preferably with tag like capabilities)
Make it so someone has to physically tick a box to display paid mods
Ensure that people can rate mods based on multiple fields (like value, support, etc...)

Will this make all mods go paid? No way José. The vast majority of people don't code for cash (IMO more people charge for IPB mods because it has a much larger learning curve to start modding for).

The biggest problem is not the implementation, it is that management of the system (e.g. complaints, MiA coders, charge back disputes, etc...). But with careful considerations and sensible systems, there is no reason why these cannot be managed and for Xenforo to actually leverage paid mods as an actual feature of the system!
Would not most, if not all, of the problems go away if the paid mod was only listed as a link to the paid authors site?

What do you think of charging the people for having their paid mod listed? If not that, then how would you mitigate the paid mods MiA authors?

Would not most, if not all, of the problems go away if the paid mod was only listed as a link to the paid authors site?

What do you think of charging the people for having their paid mod listed? If not that, then how would you mitigate the paid mods MiA authors?
Turn the listing inactive until they're no longer MIA :).

... or make it a condition of posting the mod here... if the author doesn't post within x amount of days (i.e. 30) then it becomes a free unsupported mod.

This is all green light thinking however in a perfect world, the mod could be hosted here or at least an API provided so verification that the sell is taking place with a license holder. It would also be a nice way to keep track of those purchasers that mysteriously file for chargebacks repeatedly.

Top Bottom