Mods hosted on xenforo.com - Free or Paid ?

Turn the listing inactive until they're no longer MIA :).
That puts the onus on the xf.com staff to follow up to make sure things are running smooth and everyone is happy with the paid modification, not something I would want to do, especially when the onus should be on the author.

... or make it a condition of posting the mod here... if the author doesn't post within x amount of days (i.e. 30) then it becomes a free unsupported mod.
Posting has nothing to do with supporting, posting where on the site? I'm not sure where you are going with that idea.

This is all green light thinking however in a perfect world, the mod could be hosted here or at least an API provided so verification that the sell is taking place with a license holder. It would also be a nice way to keep track of those purchasers that mysteriously file for chargebacks repeatedly.
What benefit would there be for xf to have any of the actual sales be connected in any way to xf.com?

$15 to $50 seems very expensive for most mods, I'd say a $5 for some good ones wouldn't be that bad, and would work as an incentive to the developer. However, giving support (meaning, getting the customer login/pass to his server to fix n problems) should be optional.

$15 to $50 seems very expensive for most mods, I'd say a $5 for some good ones wouldn't be that bad, and would work as an incentive to the developer. However, giving support (meaning, getting the customer login/pass to his server to fix n problems) should be optional.
Shouldn't the developer gauge how much his time costs, or the complexity of the mod/add-on determine how much to charge? If sales aren't doing well, then they can lower the price until they feel they've reached a compromise with the demand.

For greatest profit target, just know/check your competitors' current price.
A little bit lower than that is ok.

Occasion special promotion sale for new/top kind,may bring fresh comers.

But one condition needs met: Mods must be with less bugs when compared with other similar.

I think leaving this site as just XenForo and no modification stuff would be best for the site. I have already began the process of creating a mod site for free/paid addons that users want to provide. Of course rules will be in place to protect buyer and sellers but overall this site is meant to be a house for the software, not addons but then again Kier, Mike, and Ashley may just decide to add a mod section.

Shouldn't the developer gauge how much his time costs, or the complexity of the mod/add-on determine how much to charge? If sales aren't doing well, then they can lower the price until they feel they've reached a compromise with the demand.
He can choose the price of his product, I just think it's fantasy thinking it will sell many copies with those prices. Of course I'm assuming this, but it's what I believe. Most likely the cost of the core product won't be cheap, limiting the number of customers for paid mods.

He can choose the price of his product, I just think it's fantasy thinking it will sell many copies with those prices. Of course I'm assuming this, but it's what I believe. Most likely the cost of the core product won't be cheap, limiting the number of customers for paid mods.
True, but then again, we haven't seen the price of XenForo yet. But a valid point. If someone has already shelled out $250 (just an example, people) for the forum itself, they're probably much less likely to even pay for an add-on, let alone one that they don't feel is justifiable price-wise.

In the end, all of this will be hard to tell until XenForo is released and developers start creating commercial apps.

Some of us might want a pretty sophisticated mod that should command a sophisticated price though. They may be few and far in between but I can think of a couple that a handful of users would want.

Some of us might want a pretty sophisticated mod that should command a sophisticated price though. They may be few and far in between but I can think of a couple that a handful of users would want.

Agreed, though I do think the price of the underlying forum software would to a certainly extent determine pre-made mod prices. Of course this excludes one off custom work that can get real complicated real quickly.

If I want a sophisticated mod, I usually will go out and get a custom one to my exact standards. It might cost a bit more then some options, but it'll have exactly what I need and what.

One of the few premium add-ons I bought was vBSEO, and other a few features, a lot of the system was just bloat to me. It also was missing many features I would have liked (Forum-specific custom titles, custom meta-tags, etc).

If there is a market place planned, I hope it'll have a way for developers to offer programming services, as well as premium addons.  

Top Bottom