Mods and Pages - lists of mods, links to coders

Shanj

I'd like to see the Page feature used extensively for mods.

1. Each mod is described on its own Mod Page with screenshots, links to a demo etc
Plus link to a thread in a category forum
e.g. forums like - Design, Communications, Admin aids, Snippets etc

2. A Mods overpage lists most popular mods, searchbox on mods.
A section for links to coders/ their sites.
Below that top section several category lists of mods as in 1,
with a searchbox on each section for that category,
and a link for each category to its forum.
Finally a list of latest mods - titles link to their own Mod Page and a threadlink.

3. Maybe a Page also to list coders and the mods they've done, linking the names of mods to the Mod Pages and forum threads.

Of course for the Mod Pages it would help a lot to have a bbcode editor on the Mod Page for the author (coder) to use. Still hoping for that one anyway on Pages.

I think the biggest suggestions are that instead of doing things like org does where the discussion is jumbled all around the modification post, to seperate that page completely then have a link to the support topic. The second being having a developer type profile for the coder to list thier modifications rather than jumbling it into the bottom of the default profile.

Other than that it sounds rather similar and I doubt that specific catagories would be created at least in the beggining for each function of a modification, but maybe prefixes would be useful if they are implimented, ie admin tools, user interface, social media, etc.

I dont quite understand all of the above but it seems like you are requesting something which sounds very much like how vB.org functions.

No not like vb.org

I want the description of the mod, screenshots and its download link to be on a Mod Page (see XF use of html Pages).
Discussion, three cheers, requests for support on a forum thread that links off that Page.
So for one thing there's no need to scroll way down past all the original mod description screenshots etc etc to get to support and discussion.
In fact why not a strictly separate SUPPORT thread, and a DISCUSSION thread for other stuff.

Then a summary Mod Contents Page showing about Mods in general, new Mods, categories of Mods with links to the individual Mod Pages + their forum threads, searches for mods by category etc, and perhaps a separate Page about coders / designers and their sites.

if discussions and a simple bug reporting tool were made available on a per mod basis and these were linked to from a central mod page then I think that would rock!!

It would also be good to list add on's to mods on these pages. For example vBAdvanced was a product that has many add-ons.

I hope they adopt this modular approach - as I've just demonstrated bits could be bolted on to help the mod, the developer and the users of the mod.

I still think a page like the Joomla Extensions Repository is a good fit.
http://extensions.joomla.org/

Yes that's pretty good. Main difference to my suggestion is there are a lot of Categories (pre-set searches?) and they list in a side menu. That works well.

The vb.org way of having a forum thread to provide support and discussion etc is also good so I'd add in a link to that beside each mod title. Except I also think TWO threads would be good, one strictly for support and one for anything else about the mod.

Yes that's pretty good. Main difference to my suggestion is there are a lot of Categories (pre-set searches?) and they list in a side menu. That works well.

The vb.org way of having a forum thread to provide support and discussion etc is also good so I'd add in a link to that beside each mod title. Except I also think TWO threads would be good, one strictly for support and one for anything else about the mod.
http://community.woltlab.com/db/index.php

Similar to that? 

Top Bottom