Modifying column data and adding that data to new column

Live Free

I have a xf_user column that has data from an old custom add-on. I'd like to modify the number value of this field and then import it into a column for a new add-on. I'm not familiar with SQL commands, but after a little research, this is what I came up with:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user set post_quota = post_quota *.01

Takes old add-on data, where users have earned a post credit, and reduces by 100x. (necessary due to how old add-on counted data). 8000 credits becomes 80 credits, and so on.

Code:
UPDATE xf_user SET db_credits = post_quota WHERE xf_user.post_quota > 0

Copies data from old post_quota to new column.

I'm sure this is quite crude, am I close? I could use some guidance. Much thanks.

EDIT: first column ins INT(10), second column is double.

Last edited:
I am not a MySQL pro, but you can do this in 1 query, I guess:

SQL:
UPDATE xf_user set db_credits = post_quota *.01

You can clone the xf_user table in order to test it without running into problems if anything does not work.

@nocte this is very helpful thank you. I imagine best way to test is clone table, run query, and compare data for unexpected results?

What about the fact original column is INT(10) type and secondary column is DOUBLE?

What about the fact original column is INT(10) type and secondary column is DOUBLE?
I don't think that's a problem.
I imagine best way to test is clone table, run query, and compare data for unexpected results?
Yeah, you can also clone the column db_credits (i.e. create a column like db_credits_test) and run the query. I think, that's the easiest way and you cannot ruin anything, as long as your test column has a default value (normally 0; otherwise you might get server errors).

Top Bottom