Implemented Moderator Tools

nrep

I've converted several forums to XenForo now, but something that keeps cropping up from moderators is the lack of ModCP equivalent.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to provide super moderators with a method of viewing (and optionally editing) user profile information (e-mail address, custom fields, etc...). It helps determine if a member is a spammer and means that day-to-day user tasks can be performed by mods.
I know that I could make them admins with limited permissions, but that would give them access to too much.

These tools could be provided inline (as the rest of the moderator powers are) or via a separate mod control panel with appropriate permission controls.

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Are you requesting that moderators can edit profiles, or does your suggestion include other functionality? If its only editing of profiles then no modcp is needed.

Well, editing profiles (sigs, e-mail address, profile fields) and banning users would be the main things :). At the moment, the only way to allow it is to make someone an administrator with user editing permissions - but this allows far too much power (for example moderator permission admin, bulk email sending, etc...).

This is definitely an issue for us and a backwards step from vB.

It would be good if there was an option giving limited edit permissions - eg to change/remove users avatars and signatures. I have always trusted my SuperModerators with those tasks.

Even if we could have a read only permission giving full access to user details, ip addresses, other users on that ip etc that we have as admins that would be very useful to the moderators when they are looking for banned users signing up under other aliases and would be a big step in the right direction.

All we appear to be able to give them now is full edit access allowing them to change everything about another user/moderator and even if I fully trusted all of my moderators, they are always a bit worried about being given more rights than they actually need.

This is something that is holding us back too.
We have a team of moderators. They are all Supermods.
They need to be able to search the memberlist for email addresses, IP's etc and as a bonus, edit profiles.
Even if it's just like the current facility in vBulletin, where they can view a member's full profile and change the details but there's no "Save" button.

They do alot of checking for duplicate accounts, banned members returning etc, removal of commercial promotion details from signatures etc.

This issue just came up for me today as well. I need to allow moderators to look up user account details (email, primarily).

Thanks Slavik. That is indeed an idea.
However, with making them Admins, comes the other options (Like rebuilding Cache etc), and it's not something we want to be available to anyone.
That's not to say it's an issue of trust, it's a safety issue more than anything.

Wow, I just learned that my moderators can't edit user profiles... and this was unfortunately after conversion. I've got a bunch of members asking for help with editing their profile info and my poor "super" moderators feel handcuffed because they have no access.

I don't wan to make them admins, but I also don't want all the basic support burden to fall on me. I hope there is a solution available soon!

This is essential for my forum's smooth operation. Like others here, I didn't realize this functionality was lacking until after I converted from vB3. We'll get by, but it's very important that my moderators have access to more powerful tools, especially regarding IP address matching/searching.

It's certainly an area where XF is lagging far behind most other software, I've had to give out restricted Admin accounts to my mods so they can continue to work as efficiently as they do on our vb sites.

It's certainly an area where XF is lagging far behind most other software, I've had to give out restricted Admin accounts to my mods so they can continue to work as efficiently as they do on our vb sites.

Having the same problem here with our super moderators, in VB we actually had 3 moderator levels, but we cannot do that with XF at all. We also have alot of issues with the sorting of logs, availability of certain logs, such as a name change log, and the ability for users to see previous name changes and infractions publicly in their member profiles as well. XF has alot of promise but it is very unpolished.

Top Bottom