Add-on Moderation transparency, all deleted post markers visible to all

sross

At the moment only admins/moderators can view deleted post content markers. This has unexpectedly irked a great many of my members when xF removes all trace of the deleted thread from their view (vbulletin would leave a marker). There are benefits to having removed content markers visible:

-it's a visual reminder of why a thread might seem disjointed from removed content, sure you can notify participants with the xF system but what about new arrivals, etc.
-everyone can see that John Doe's post was removed because of "personal attack", this can be a form of 'name and shame' and actually be beneficial to modifying bad behavior.
-conspiracy minded users can't make claims moderators are disappearing content haphazardly or for a personal agenda. This adds a level of accountability.

Seeing as admins and moderators can see the deleted marker, maybe it is not a difficult add on to allow all members or selected usergroups to also view it. Only the marker showing it was deleted and reason, not the actual content.

Just give your usergroups the Moderator Permissions for viewing the content

Capture.webp

It's actually part of the core, so no need for an addon technically

That would give them too much access though, wouldn't that allow them to see the deleted content as well as the marker? I just want them to see a deletion stub and the reason. I don't need user A going 'oh so THAT's what user B said about me, that !&^$!!', best to keep it simple.

This idea does make sense to me, although if a post needs action due to a user transgression, there is an option to give s public warning, so a workaround I have used is for a mod to edit out the post's content and leave a public warning, instead of deleting the post.

Top Bottom