XF 1.4 Moderation rules

tzahi

Hello.
I have put my registered user group permission "Follow message moderation rules" on never, but still they have to wait for moderation when they post stuff, any ideas?

Set it to Allow if you don't want to moderate posts.

For reference - you should avoid using Never as it can't be overridden. If you don't want to give a permission, use Not Set (No)

It still should not be used, never is only needed sparingly if you understand how to set up permissions correctly.
Exactly right - an understanding of how to set up permissions properly is key.
Set it to Allow if you don't want to moderate posts.
In this example (post moderation), the moderation occurs with the "No/Not set" option. What would be the "correct" way (without using "Never") to ensure a user is always moderated if one or more of the usergroups they're in have it set to "No/Not set"? Any "No/Not set"setting will be overridden by an "Allow" in any usergroups they happen to belong to. Only the "Never" will ensure that any "Allow" settings are overridden .

I believe this is one of the situations where the use of "Never" is indicated.

Last edited:
Exactly right - an understanding of how to set up permissions properly is key.

In this example (post moderation), the moderation occurs with the "No/Not set" option. What would be the "correct" way (without using "Never") to ensure a user is always moderated if one or more of the usergroups they're in have it set to "No/Not set"? Any "No/Not set"setting will be overridden by an "Allow" in any usergroups they happen to belong to. Only the "Never" will ensure that any "Allow" settings are overridden .

I believe this is one of the situations where the use of "Never" is indicated.
In your example you are correct and this is an instance when using Never is correct. I have a "Naughty Step" user group where I use the Never setting several times to override the Allows set in other user groups.

This is an exception, the vast majority of the time Not Set (No) is what should be used, as is the case with the OP who incorrectly used Never. So the advice to avoid using Never is correct in virtually all cases.

In your example you are correct and this is an instance when using Never is correct.
There are really 2 issues here - when to use "Never" and when not to is one of them. The option exists and not using it when you should is just as wrong as using it when you shouldn't.

The second issue is the wording of the Post Moderation permission itself - "Follow Message Moderation Rules". That looks like it should mean you mark "Allow" if you do want to moderate posts, not if you don't. The op was using the "wrong" setting because what looked to be the right setting didn't give him the desired outcome. For an important setting like this the wording should be clearer. IMO.

There are really 2 issues here - when to use "Never" and when not to is one of them. The option exists and not using it when you should is just as wrong as using it when you shouldn't.
Indeed but the question the OP posed was a simple one about why something didn't work. A short answer was given to fix this, the OP didn't ask further on the use of NEVER (which is explained in the XenForo manual as well as permissions resources in the RM) so nothing further was said.

The second issue is the wording of the Post Moderation permission itself - "Follow Message Moderation Rules". That looks like it should mean you mark "Allow" if you do want to moderate posts, not if you don't. The op was using the "wrong" setting because what looked to be the right setting didn't give him the desired outcome. For an important setting like this the wording should be clearer. IMO.
Yes, the wording could have been clearer and a suggestion was made on this:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-follow-message-moderation-rules-phrase.55234/

which has been implemented in XenForo 2.0 (it now says "Submit content without approval"). It's unlikely to be changed in XenForo 1.x as the existing phrase has been there for 7 years.

Out of interest, why was this thread resurrected after nearly 3 years? Is there a particular issue you need help with?

Out of interest, why was this thread resurrected after nearly 3 years? Is there a particular issue you need help with?
I think I'm good Martok... does it look like there's something I've missed?

I had occasion to use this setting and there's such a taboo here on using the "Never" option I decided to investigate a bit to make sure I wasn't missing something. Turns out I wasn't, and I wanted anyone else finding this thread for the same reason to know it's okay to use Never in this situation.

Out of interest, how old a thread can I post in without making you uncomfortable?

Out of interest, how old a thread can I post in without making you uncomfortable?
Not uncomfortable at all, you just posted in the thread and it wasn't clear if you had an issue or not from your initial post, which is why I asked. :)

Incidentally there's a bit more clarity about permissions and the use of Never in the XenForo 2 manual including a mention how is should be used.

https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/

Incidentally there's a bit more clarity about permissions and the use of Never in the XenForo 2 manual including a mention how is should be used.
If/when I start using XF2 I'll check it out.
Not uncomfortable at all...
Glad to hear it!
...you just posted in the thread and it wasn't clear if you had an issue or not from your initial post, which is why I asked.
Posting in threads is what people do on forums. If I had a question I'd have asked it.

(Makes note to self to avoid posting in threads that Martok has posted in).

Not uncomfortable at all, you just posted in the thread and it wasn't clear if you had an issue or not from your initial post, which is why I asked.

Sometimes it better to not ask, occasionally you will get those that do not perceive help as help. They feel any time someone questions them they are being attacked. :(

The same concept pretty much applies to the XF1 line as well, but that does seem better written.

Last edited:
Top Bottom