Moderating without ACP access?

CTXMedia

I have a few questions regarding moderator privileges, ACP access, and member ban/management tools in XF:
  1. Can you have global moderators in XF? (can moderate all areas of the site)
  2. Can moderators ban members using the front-end of the site? or do they need to login to the ACP to do that?
  3. If not, can the moderator's ACP access be restricted to only allow banning? (i.e. they cannot change username, password, group membership, etc.)

I ask because in the current software for our big board you have to grant complete account editing privs to enable mods to ban from the ACP. This means, (in a worse-case scenario) a moderator can upgrade account privs, create new accounts, and generally mess about with user accounts and open up the board to unauthorised access.

In migrating to XF can I still give my moderators the ability to ban without giving them Carte Blanche to mess with user accounts?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

1. Yes.
2. Only by using the Spam Cleaner.
3. Moderators don't have ACP access, only Administrators do. Access can be restricted to different areas and functions though.

Bear in mind that in XenForo Moderators and Administrators are two completely separate roles and the permissions do not carry across from one to the other.

In order to ban from the ACP you must be an Administrator.

So I could add my moderators as Administrator's and then restrict what they can do in terms of editing members user accounts?

Or do Administrators with user account modification privs get access to every aspect of editing members accounts (i.e. change usergroup, email address, password, etc.)?

Cheers,

The permission is Manage users and moderators so to answer your question, yes, pretty much everything.

It's not granular enough to grant only specific functions.

Just an FYI, but you know you can set up an online demo and play with all of this stuff?

Just an FYI, but you know you can set up an online demo and play with all of this stuff?

I do, and I have an active board of my own as well, but I'm asking here so that anyone researching similar questions can see what the answers are.

(I'll also confess to being a little lazy at times too ... sorry ;)).

Cheers,

Top Bottom