XF 1.2 Moderate user

Valhalla

I wish for users who register on my forum to have restricted permissions until certain criteria are met.

For example, a newly registered user cannot start a new conversation, or post in a forum, until they have been registered for X days.

I'm sure I can use the User Group Promotions feature for this, but how should I do it?

I know that all users are in the "Registered" Primary User Group upon registering, so I thought of adding, using the UGP feature, a secondary group named "Restricted Permissions". This won't work though because there would a time period when registering, before their restricted user group is applied.

Maybe the Primary User Group should have those restricted permissions, and the secondary group should be applied (when criteria are met) to elevate a user's permissions instead?

Is the latter approach better?

I wish for users who register on my forum to have restricted permissions until certain criteria are met.

For example, a newly registered user cannot start a new conversation, or post in a forum, until they have been registered for X days.

I'm sure I can use the User Group Promotions feature for this, but how should I do it?

I know that all users are in the "Registered" Primary User Group upon registering, so I thought of adding, using the UGP feature, a secondary group named "Restricted Permissions". This won't work though because there would a time period when registering, before their restricted user group is applied.

Maybe the Primary User Group should have those restricted permissions, and the secondary group should be applied (when criteria are met) to elevate a user's permissions instead?

Is the latter approach better?
Registered group with the minimal permissions needed (like no conversations, etc - whatever restrictions you are wanting in place).
Then do a promotion based either upon days/time/etc (whatever criteria you decide on) and promote to a second group that has those permissions enabled.

Remember to always keep the registered group the bare minimum and then add any additional permissions you want to allow a user as a secondary group and use a promotion to move them into it.

Top Bottom