Implemented Mod Comment on Posts

karrott

I know that one feature I'd like to see is the ability to leave a "mod comment" when editing a user's post. Some of you may already be familiar with what I'm talking about, but if you aren't: I've got a bad mockup for you made using only a quote. :p

Screen shot 2010-10-01 at 11.27.08 AM.webp

Obviously, the XF developer team would need to create a better implementation than what I just pictured. From my experience as a forum admin, having the ability to add comments to posts is often the best way to inform members that they've made a minor mistake. It's much quicker than sending them a PM because it can be added directly from the edit post page, but is not as harsh as an official warning. I know that not all forum admins will use this, but for me it would be a major selling point. And if not added to the official release, I'm sure that a modification will be released for this eventually.

Any thoughts or opinions? (Both negative and positive.)

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Isn't this the same as replying with a quote?
Not nescessarily. When you reply with a quote, you are continuing the discussion. When you want to correct a member's behavior, it isn't ideal to respond using a quote because your post could be several pages away from the actual violation. All this would do is break the discussion by forcing users to watch a member getting disciplined. The last thing any moderation team wants is to break a thriving discussion.

My idea involves the ability to add a comment directly to the post that has been edited. In this way, removed posts aren't left with just "removed" and members are able to see why their content was taken down. Some admins will use this, others won't. Either way, it's still nice to have.

Sorry if my original post wasn't all that clear. I guess it's my fault for creating a mockup using the quote box. :P

I achieve this on my vB using custom BB code that sticks the text in a nice box with a warning/mod graphic. If xenForo ships with custom BB code (not clear on whether it will yet) then you can easily do the same.

I achieve this on my vB using custom BB code that sticks the text in a nice box with a warning/mod graphic. If xenForo ships with custom BB code (not clear on whether it will yet) then you can easily do the same.
I also use this, though this thread gave me an idea to add a new item to the mod links "Mod" - opens a textbox and auto-appends the comment using the styling to the violating post.

I also use this, though this thread gave me an idea to add a new item to the mod links "Mod" - opens a textbox and auto-appends the comment using the styling to the violating post.
That's exactly the implementation that I'd like to see xenForo use for this if the idea was to be implemented into the core system.

Top Bottom