Fixed Mobile menu should behave like desktop menu, so tapping a top level nav item allows you to see the subnavigation

Mr Lucky

Affected version
Obviously they cannot be exactly the same, but there is an inconsistency in useability between the desktop menu behaviour and the mobile off canvas menu, and I have had members confused by not being able to find things when using mobile.

If the top level tab has no actual link (ie it is just a heading) but does have child pages, clicking on it opens up a dropdown list of submenu items .

But in the mobile off canvas menu, if a toptab has no link defined, instead of opening the subnavigation which you would expect, it just does nothing. A user therefore has to know to click on the downward arrow in order to open the subnavigation. To me this seems unintuitive, it should work like the desktop navigation. It should be easy enough to make a tap on the heading open the subnavigation dropdown

If there is some setting missing that will do this, I apologise for calling it a bug, but in that case it is not obvious, so could someone please let me know how to make the behaviour consistent.

NB: the admin navigation actually works like I am saying the main forum off canvas should.

A related issue:
On desktop, even when a top level tab is a link, clicking on opens a page with a very clear subnavigation horizontaly visble under the tab. On mobile that is not there

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.7).

Change log:
Open off-canvas sub-navigation menu when tapping a heading with no link
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom