Mobile apps using web view wrappers

Actually the notification API is this push API, but from the description of the addon it just changes the favicon and/or sets/changes the tab title. This uses no special API at all...

Actually the notification API is this push API, but from the description of the addon it just changes the favicon and/or sets/changes the tab title. This uses no special API at all...

Notifications API requires that the window is open IIRC, Push doesn't I believe.

The update must not have been released yet that supports Notifications, I believe he posted a link to a beta/release cantidate. However, in the screenshot you posted in that other thread it looks like yours actually gives the message from the alert, wasn't able to get that to work in Live update :eek:

Edit: Found the link, https://github.com/chrisdeeming/LiveUpdate/releases

So if I was interested in having someone just build out a webview + push alerts, has someone actually got that working and willing to sell? :P

2.webp 1.webp I also wanted to share my experience with mit inventor app for anyone else who wants to try it..
3n5kX

Last edited:
As I convert my big forum over to Xenforo, I'm wondering what my mobile app strategy should be. Considering 65% of my site's usage is on mobile, I'm thinking I really need to have an app in both iTunes and the Google Play Store.

Right now, I've got an app for my site in each, but it's basically just an "app wrapper" / webview wrapper around the mobile version of BYC. Super simple and (from what I've heard) not really something that Apple approves of.

I definitely do not want to go with Tapatalk or similar app that is not in my full control / account. I want to own the whole system (the software, use, apps in the store, app account, etc.).

Ideally: I'd get another "app wrapper" built for both iOS and Android, but with some extra functionality like push notifications, etc. I'm surprised this isn't done more often. Are there any developers out there with experience and interest in contract work to make this happen?

As I convert my big forum over to Xenforo, I'm wondering what my mobile app strategy should be. Considering 65% of my site's usage is on mobile, I'm thinking I really need to have an app in both iTunes and the Google Play Store.
Assuming your site is run by ads, then I recommend TMA. If people are moving into mobile but out of your ad space it's detrimental to ad revenue.
I definitely do not want to go with Tapatalk or similar app that is not in my full control / account. I want to own the whole system (the software, use, apps in the store, app account, etc.).

Ideally: I'd get another "app wrapper" built for both iOS and Android, but with some extra functionality like push notifications, etc. I'm surprised this isn't done more often. Are there any developers out there with experience and interest in contract work to make this happen?
There is a plan for TMA called Enterprise where the apps are published for you under your store accounts. But there is a segment of admins like yourself that want to go off the grid so to speak, where you do the publishing of the APK/IPA and all else yourself (which implicitly means your account).

There will be soon be an off-grid version of TMA that is essentially that, plus your run your own push servers. The only ongoing role the developer plays is providing updates. Apps powered by web views look easy to develop, maintain, and distribute for others, but I can say for a fact that is not the case.

From the day this thread was split from TMA over a year ago to today, those saying otherwise have produced nothing but hot air, and I'll leave it at that. Why nobody else has done it prior to TMA is simply because it is hard. It's meant to be and look easy to the forum owner, not the developer/publisher :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom