Missing: Social Groups + Group-forums

erich37

XenForo is great as it is, but I think one of the Core-Features which are still missing are some sort of "Groups" so that users can associate themselves to certain Groups.

Maybe also having Group-Forums for each of those Groups ?

For example, XING.com is using Group-Forums (public or invitation-based), which can be applied for by moderators to "run" a certain Group, so people can set-up their own Group-Forum based on their interest and they can invite already existing members or people who are not yet members of your website to join this specific Group.

So this would be free viral-marketing for your very own Forum.

Also see this suggestion:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-replace-members-page-with.2773/

Upvote 130
I had social groups on my xf forum with huge success and my members arent happy that we don’t have them anymore. Unfortunately the only xf2 groups add on doesn’t work with multiple primary user groups so I’m stuck waiting for someone to create a solution...but I would always prefer a permanent xf solution since I went from vb to xf to xf2 and the groups feature has never been consistent in my community.

9 years later and XF still has no social groups. For those of us who require solid full featured social groups, IPS clubs is the only viable solution.

I'm not sure how to upgrade to XF2 as I am not seeing a viable social groups solution yet.
IMHO social groups functionality needs to be core, so that addon developers can extend it. Official XenForo Social Groups would the only way proper standards and quality are guaranteed.

I want to start a new project, for which I need the characteristic of social groups. Invision Community brings it integrated with their forum system, but I like XenForo better, it gives you more control in many aspects, for example in the permission hierarchies for user groups.

I know that there are third party add-ons, such as https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tl-social-groups.6389/

but I prefer something so complex to be an official add-on, developed by XenForo's team of programmers.

I've been dying for social groups since I left VB for XF.

...And yes I've purchased a social group addon from the resource manager. The first one I paid for was eventually abandoned so I bought another. The one I am currently using is buggy. An XF coded/supported addon is the quality I need on my site.

The "Social Groups" add-on of @ozzy47 works very well. But I think that an add-on of these features should be developed and supported by the XenForo team. That is the best guarantee that the add-on will always be updated together with the main program, and that its evolution will be parallel to the main program.

The "Social Groups" add-on of @ozzy47 works very well. But I think that an add-on of these features should be developed and supported by the XenForo team. That is the best guarantee that the add-on will always be updated together with the main program, and that its evolution will be parallel to the main program.
It works, but haven't been updated with new features for a while, and I see some lacks that are really making it hard to use for me.. (and I'm sure I'm not alone). And the success rate for giving reasonable suggestions/improvements is equal to 0..

So I think many would hugely welcome an official group addon. That's the big advantage of it being official, as you say, it will be evolved together with the core. And I can't wait to see what the team have in store for the official addons (in terms of improvements) for 2.2 :)

Last edited:
I agree. Forums are mostly niche, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons for going micro-niche. So you have a Cars forum. Now you can have a New York Muscle Car group, or whatever. If groups are implemented, calendar events is a must. Great for the local meetups etc.

The category and forum structure is obsolete (except for specific cases such as technical support forums). The possibility for community members to create their own structures (with their own leaders), Reddit style, according to their interests, is a step forward, and would take advantage of the classic forums and the popularity of social networks.

IMHO social groups functionality needs to be core, so that addon developers can extend it. Official XenForo Social Groups would the only way proper standards and quality are guaranteed.

I think the "Social Groups" or "Clubs" feature should be integrated into the core of XF, to ensure standards and quality for the development of other add-ons that add functionality to this feature, as you suggest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom