Minecraft Paid Username Validation [Deleted]

Jeremy P

XenForo developer
Staff member
Jeremy P submitted a new resource:

Minecraft Username Validation (version 1.0.0) - When registering, users must use a paid Minecraft account username.

This addon will ensure your users have valid Minecraft usernames when registering.

Features
  • You may choose to accept or reject the registration in the event the Minecraft.net server cannot be reached.
  • You may update the URL to be used for validation if it changes in the future
  • Enable or disable the addon to turn checking on/off
  • Fully phrased error messages (can be changed and translated easily)
  • Works with the built in File Health Check to ensure the...

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ALTERNATIVE:
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...o-permissions-stat-tracking-1-2-5-r4-0.69218/

My addon is currently more stable and well-supported, but I can't compete with the features it offers because I only develop for the XF end of things. I encourage you to ask Mojang for OAuth support for their account system.

Read more about this resource...

Does this match with an in-game auth to verify that they are the username they registered? Other wise, this would be pretty pointless, anyone could just register a paid Minecraft name.

I saw a system once using vB.. You first enter in game and locked in place til you do /register you then receive a code and have to go join the site and include that code to tie the account.

Does this match with an in-game auth to verify that they are the username they registered? Other wise, this would be pretty pointless, anyone could just register a paid Minecraft name.

I saw a system once using vB.. You first enter in game and locked in place til you do /register you then receive a code and have to go join the site and include that code to tie the account.
You're certainly right that this is not fool-proof, but I wouldn't say it's entirely pointless. If Mojang had an API or some sort of OAuth account implementation I would have certainly gone that route, but it doesn't.

Mojang only offers a way to check if a given username has paid or not. Anything beyond that requires a server running Bukkit (until 1.4 is out anyways) and a custom plugin, and I am not familiar with writing Bukkit plugins.

If the plugin you saw has the capability to support other softwares besides vB, I will gladly integrate it.

However, this is far from useless. Been hit by spam lately? This will stop most of them at the door, unless the spambot program happens to be using a valid Minecraft username. You can add common ones like Notch to your username blocklist. If someone really wants to register - yeah - they'll find a paid username or something.. but are most people really going to be bothered to do that?

Here is one for phpBB that uses the /register http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/phpbb3auth/ This one appears to register you on the forum via in game.. I would pay for something like this for xF. Minecraft servers would want this for a tool to verify members on the forum to know they are the legit person making requests, reports and appeals not for a spam prevention on the forums.

Minecraft servers would want this for a tool to verify members on the forum to know they are the legit person making requests, reports and appeals not for a spam prevention on the forums.
No need to be rude, I developed this as per someone's request and released it because a few others asked for it. If it doesn't do what you want.. don't use it. Believe it or not, it does what some people want and can be developed further.

I will look into the forum auth and see if I can get it working with XF.

Looking more into it - it seems what you're looking for would more have to be a Bukkit plugin rather than an XF plugin. I am only developing for the XF side of things, sorry.

What you really should be pushing for though is for Mojang accounts to support OAuth, like Facebook and Twitter do. Then I could do it all from XF.

No need to be rude, I developed this as per someone's request and released it because a few others asked for it. If it doesn't do what you want.. don't use it. Believe it or not, it does what some people want and can be developed further.

I will look into the forum auth and see if I can get it working with XF.

How was I being rude? I just simply said this mod would be better suited as a tool for minecraft servers, not just a spam prevention tool on the forum.

Excuse me then, I just take offense to it being called pointless. I apologize if that's not understandable, you are entitled to your opinion.

Also the link you posted is just a theoretical addon, there is no code or download or anything of the sort. If there is something existing out there that works let me know and I'll see if I'm capable of adapting it for use with XF.

Also the link you posted is just a theoretical addon, there is no code or download or anything of the sort. If there is something existing out there that works let me know and I'll see if I'm capable of adapting it for use with XF.

I just found this searching on Bukkit for forum auth. http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...o-permissions-stat-tracking-1-2-5-r4-0.69218/ Says it already works with xF! Auth, game stats and shows in widgits players in game in real time!

Can't lie, that looks pretty awesome.. but it died out and was only recently "revived" and seems experimental and not well supported at this point. I will include a link to it in the addon description to be fair, but again I don't feel this addon is completely useless.

And the day Minecraft/Mojang gets an OAuth API is the day this becomes an OAuth addon for XF.

It is a neat idea, don't get me wrong there. But the name of the mod is a bit.. I can't think of a good word without seeming like I'm flaming you, which is not my intention at all.. But it doesn't really validate the members Minecraft name. It's like cashing someones check drawn on a piece of paper.. Sure you have the info to someones account, but it doesn't validate that they issued you the check, you just made the check on random generated numbers. Also what if down the road someone that really has that name wants to join too.. It's already taken by someone that saw my name on a server and decided to use it. As a Minecraft hosting provider myself, I would love a mod like this that offered true validation so I can validate legit membership holders from those signing up for my server to have a cracked "offline" server hosted though us.

Fair enough, I just copied the addon title from the person who requested it. And you don't have to spell it out for me, I understand your point. If you want to see something cool, ask Mojang for an OAuth API. Then users could just register with a Mojang account like they could with Facebook.

I'll change the name but there's nothing more I can do on the XF side of things at this time.

Fair enough, I just copied the addon title from the person who requested it. And you don't have to spell it out for me, I understand your point. If you want to see something cool, ask Mojang for an OAuth API. Then users could just register with a Mojang account like they could with Facebook.

I'll change the name but there's nothing more I can do on the XF side of things at this time.
Is there a way to "Sign in with Mojang" instead of "Sign in with Facebook"... if you know what I mean. (y)

Is there a way to "Sign in with Mojang" instead of "Sign in with Facebook"... if you know what I mean. (y)
Not at this time :( but that's what I'm talking about, that's what OAuth is!
Tell Mojang you want them to support this, and I will release it for XenForo as this addon.

I have already told them but they won't add it anytime soon if there isn't enough support for it.

Not at this time :( but that's what I'm talking about, that's what OAuth is!
Tell Mojang you want them to support this, and I will release it for XenForo as this addon.

I have already told them but they won't add it anytime soon if there isn't enough support for it.
How can we get support for it then? I'm sure all server owners would like this installed, and some server hosts as well. Then they can have their Minecraft names as part of their system.

This used to be on NoCheatPlus.org until they took it down... I never signed in but it looked like they were actually using OpenID/OAuth or something they made.

Yeah but those such systems probably required the user's password, instead of connecting their accounts. I don't feel comfortable with that. To get support for it just tell Mojang you'd be interested in seeing OAuth for their accounts.

I have found https://www.mcvalid.com - how do you feel about that? I could implement that as an XF addon and users could authenticate their minecraft accounts, but they'd have to be willing to register with mcvalid.com

What are thoughts on this? Would that be reasonable?

See the above - any thoughts?

That's pretty neat, though not sure how many would bother registering and logging into a random server to get the validate-key. Would be far better if the validate-key was issued on the server of the forum.

I tried doing this on my own a while back in 1.2.5, I had it to the point that making an account in game created it to xF, but I ran into issues with salting and the only solution I could find, that was not very ideal was once they registered, they had to then do a password request reset on the forums to set a valid password LOL

You could just use your password if you don't want to do all that.. I understand it's riskier but it's an option. I still don't feel server-key validation is the best option because it requires server mods and quite frankly OAuth is the modern standard for associating/connecting accounts and XF supports it well.

That site is basically an OAuth layer on top of Mojang/Mc accounts.

Jeremy P updated Minecraft Paid Username Validation with a new update entry:

1.0.0b

• Fixed a typo in the readme
  • Fixed the 'File Health Check' functionality
This release does not offer any changes for end-users, so I have not notified existing users. Existing users are free to contact me for the update if they feel it has something to offer them.
To upgrade, just upload the files, overwriting the old ones.
There is no need to update the XML.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom