Million post thread

@Mike thankyou very much, this is exactly the expert answer I was looking for. :cool: I get what you say about uncertainties, so it's not possible to predict precise behaviour and it sounds like the consequences of a potential malfunction aren't particularly pleasant.

In the end, this idea was a just for fun thread to see something insane with a million posts in it, but it doesn't sound worth it to me, given the potential consequences and the fact that this isn't a temporary forum that I've set up, but the online home of my local computer club, so we can't go messing with it. I think I'll aim for a much lower limit, or not do it at all. Gotta think about it.

I might see about creating such a thread on its own server and domain with one of the free forum software packages out there where it won't matter if it gets trashed so much. If I even get round to it.

Another option would be to make a test copy of the site locally and use a script to generate the thread and then see how that copes with it. Again, I probably won't get round to it, not least, because I have no idea how to write such a script so would have to learn it from scratch.

@Xon thanks for the info. Again, it looks like such a massive thread has capacity consequences.

Another option would be to make a test copy of the site locally and use a script to generate the thread and then see how that copes with it.

@Mike been wondering, is it actually possible to create posts programmatically in XF? If so, I'll find someone who can do it and test such a massive thread on a local copy of the forum. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to a couple of days to create that many posts via script, I reckon.

All the script would have to do for content is something like "Post 1", "Post 2" etc up to a limit that I set.

Top Bottom