Migration from VB 3.8

barbeluk1

Hi there,

I'm very keen to migrate our forum to Xenforo as soon as possible.

Here's the summary of our forum:

Threads: 13,534, Posts: 208,480, Members: 2,453, Active Members: 1,045

One slight difference is that I add all new members myself though the backend. Basically a new member buys something from our online stop and gets added to the forum by me using their real name (from credit card details) as the username. This is to stop the hassle and constant moderating needed when we were open to all. Can I do this in Xenforo?

Also, the current VB install has VBSEO on it. What happens to the URLs to all the posts when converting to Xenforo?

One last thing, I inject a menu at the top/header of the existing forum for the rest of the site (which isn't currently mobile friendly), could I do this in Xenforo? I'm planning to redevelop the non forum parts of the site as a Wordpress site so am trying to figure out how I'd incorporate our forum as part of that....

Is there a service where I can pay to have the migration done for me as specified above?

Many thanks,

Andy

One slight difference is that I add all new members myself though the backend. Basically a new member buys something from our online stop and gets added to the forum by me using their real name (from credit card details) as the username. This is to stop the hassle and constant moderating needed when we were open to all. Can I do this in Xenforo?
Yes this can be done with XF. It’s possible to switch off the normal registration process and in the Admin CP you can create users.

Also, the current VB install has VBSEO on it. What happens to the URLs to all the posts when converting to Xenforo?
It is possible to redirect VBSEO URLs to XF using server side redirects. It’s recommended to use the “Retain content IDs” option I’m the importer. This makes, for example, thread 123 in VB have the same thread ID in XF.

One last thing, I inject a menu at the top/header of the existing forum for the rest of the site (which isn't currently mobile friendly), could I do this in Xenforo? I'm planning to redevelop the non forum parts of the site as a Wordpress site so am trying to figure out how I'd incorporate our forum as part of that....
With XF you will have full control over the style and templates so it should be possible to do this.

Is there a service where I can pay to have the migration done for me as specified above?
We don't directly offer migration services but many customers do offer similar services. Customers who offer such services post in this forum:

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/third-party-services-offers.42/

Well, I'm very pleased to say that I am free of VB!!

Thanks to this thread, I came across Matt Worthington mattwservices.co.uk who has done an incredible job of migrating us to XenForo. Redirects are set up and all is working well. All in under a month from posting the original thread as well! Such a pleasure to work with. Thank you @MattW

Cheers,

Andy

Top Bottom