XF 1.2 Migrating a Big Board (vB4 -> xF)

JJJ

Alright, alea iacta est!

Today we've bought a licence of xenForo + RM and installed this at a test server. We decided to do it slowly, and we have read Brogans Importing guidelines and firstly like to play a bit, to get more familiar.

Due to, we have to migrate > 6 Million posts, we think, we will buy vBulletin Big Board Importer.

The question, I have now is, what will be overwritten by the importer? I think we can change templates, make a design and therefore add css-files. But probably, if we create a node-tree, should that be deleted before doing the first test import?

The question, I have now is, what will be overwritten by the importer? I think we can change templates, make a design and therefore add css-files. But probably, if we create a node-tree, should that be deleted before doing the first test import?

Unfortunately you can't set-up a test board, import (or create) users, threads, forums, etc. and tweak your style - and then "reset" back to normal to carry out the import.

You should be able to export your style from your test install, but that's about it. Everything you set-up in your test board will need setting up again when you do your migration from vB to XF.

It's therefore a good idea to set-up your test board in a sub-directory so that you can keep it going during the migration phase and compare (and manually copy over) the settings to your final XF install.

Top Bottom