Microsoft Surface

0xym0r0n

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not exactly retina display it's 'clear type' at 208 pixels instead of 268​
Best wifi range for a tablet so far?​
Ergonomic touch keyboard​
The FULL OS will support photoshop :)

There is nothing ergonomic about that keyboard.

There is no wrist support, so it will do nothing for carpal tunnel syndrome nor other related injuries.

The size is another issue, as your fingers are cramped which can lead to arthritis do to improper space between fingers.

The 'ergononmics' of that keyboard are non-existence, and its being used as a ploy to get sales. It is no different than if it was a keyboard dock, other than that it is touch based.

Not exactly retina display it's 'clear type' at 208 pixels instead of 268
Best wifi range for a tablet so far?
Ergonomic touch keyboard
The FULL OS will support photoshop :)

http://gizmodo.com/5919428/what-is-the-microsoft-surface

Perceptive Pixel has done some amazing work over the years. No wonder Microsoft snatched them up.

Yeah I wouldn't call it 'ergonomic' but that's what the guy in the video was calling it for the presentation lol!

It's a little more convenient? A bit like holding a gaming controller and you just use your thumbs to type. The size of the tablet would cause hand cramps if you were holding it to type. They have the keyboards as you can see to make it a portable 'desktop' aka a laptop? lol!

As far as photoshop I doubt the 'lite' version as i'm calling is going to be able to fully run on it. At least efficiently. I'd like to believe the Pro version will have something more acceptable and capable enough to run CS6 as some of the articles are suggesting.

Some of the immediate downsides is that some articles are saying it's not true full HD and that it'll be left behind in the tablet world because it's too heavy (pro version). Not to mention the price tag will be pretty high for a tablet.

I still think it's pretty exciting to see something that can run desktop applications on a tablet. I hope it pushes more companies to produce similar products.

Yeah I wouldn't call it 'ergonomic' but that's what the guy in the video was calling it for the presentation lol!

It's a little more convenient? A bit like holding a gaming controller and you just use your thumbs to type. The size of the tablet would cause hand cramps if you were holding it to type. They have the keyboards as you can see to make it a portable 'desktop' aka a laptop? lol!

As far as photoshop I doubt the 'lite' version as i'm calling is going to be able to fully run on it. At least efficiently. I'd like to believe the Pro version will have something more acceptable and capable enough to run CS6 as some of the articles are suggesting.

Some of the immediate downsides is that some articles are saying it's not true full HD and that it'll be left behind in the tablet world because it's too heavy (pro version). Not to mention the price tag will be pretty high for a tablet.

I still think it's pretty exciting to see something that can run desktop applications on a tablet. I hope it pushes more companies to produce similar products.
The keyboard only really works well if its on a flat surface, in comparison to the Asus Transformer series, where you can have it on your lap and use it decently well.

It's convenient to type on sure, but not in every situation (This is an assumption). Truthfully, there is no way to do any real photoshop work on a tablet currently, no matter what device. Touch interfaces aren't as exact as a mouse can be (Or a stylus for more accuracy, which do work on tablets, but not always as much as a Wacom).

We'll have to see how much this tablet succeeds, but I don't have much faith in Microsoft in the tablet/phone market.

The keyboard only really works well if its on a flat surface, in comparison to the Asus Transformer series, where you can have it on your lap and use it decently well.

It's convenient to type on sure, but not in every situation (This is an assumption). Truthfully, there is no way to do any real photoshop work on a tablet currently, no matter what device. Touch interfaces aren't as exact as a mouse can be (Or a stylus for more accuracy, which do work on tablets, but not always as much as a Wacom).

We'll have to see how much this tablet succeeds, but I don't have much faith in Microsoft in the tablet/phone market.

I would agree normally what Microsoft makes is junk, however having used Perceptive Pixel's technology, I would say they actually have an extremely strong fighting chance here to make a comeback. They had the multi-touch concepts down even before Apple did.

The FULL OS will support photoshop​
Bzzt! We have a winner folks. The full OS tablet is the winning combo. I'm getting a Windows 8 Intel Surface on Day 1 (OK maybe Day 2 to make sure there's not some exploding cigar inside). Apple will never have a full OS tablet plus I still need a Windows machine (virtual one inside the Mac and a HP Netbook running XP) and I can consolidate everything, including my iPad2 in one device.

Even the ugly blocky tablet graphics formerly known as "Metro" is not that bad once you start to use it (why they couldn't make as good looking as iPad graphics?).

Yeah TBH I'm not interested in anything but the FULL OS on a tablet lol. I just wish it had some more things but this will do for now. As I said in other places I hope it pushes competition to an extreme level :)

I would agree normally what Microsoft makes is junk, however having used Perceptive Pixel's technology, I would say they actually have an extremely strong fighting chance here to make a comeback. They had the multi-touch concepts down even before Apple did.

I mean the platform as a whole; they've had a very slow adoption, barely beating RIM this last quarter in share (And RIM had less than 5% last I saw).

There aren't enough apps for the ARM version of the tablet, and Microsoft funding development of app ports isn't really working for them (Just makes them look desperate).

The full os on the tablet might have potential, however the Intel SoC chips currently are very battery inefficient and really aren't that great. There is no comparison between a Snapdragon or Tegra 3 processor in comparison with the current Intel chips.

Their decisions regarding mobile devices haven't been all that smart (The limit on outdated hardware for example), and many OEM's have shown hesitancy regarding them entering the tablet niche with this device themselves (It directly competes with their OEM partners). If as they say it is to 'Show how a Windows 8 tablet should be' they should have done it similarly to how Google does the Nexus line, and choose a partner to create the tablet, and release it.

I'll still get one, as I buy most gadgets, I just have doubts as to whether or not they can truly because the 3rd mobile OS, and take a huge portion of the market. It's entirely possible with Android inconsistency in devices, and the stagnation see with iOS, but it would require them getting the proper balance of everything to entice people to switch to a developing platform (People are even hesitant to go to Android due to less games and media apps than iOS).

I mean the platform as a whole; they've had a very slow adoption, barely beating RIM this last quarter in share (And RIM had less than 5% last I saw).

There aren't enough apps for the ARM version of the tablet, and Microsoft funding development of app ports isn't really working for them (Just makes them look desperate).

The full os on the tablet might have potential, however the Intel SoC chips currently are very battery inefficient and really aren't that great. There is no comparison between a Snapdragon or Tegra 3 processor in comparison with the current Intel chips.

Their decisions regarding mobile devices haven't been all that smart (The limit on outdated hardware for example), and many OEM's have shown hesitancy regarding them entering the tablet niche with this device themselves (It directly competes with their OEM partners). If as they say it is to 'Show how a Windows 8 tablet should be' they should have done it similarly to how Google does the Nexus line, and choose a partner to create the tablet, and release it.

I'll still get one, as I buy most gadgets, I just have doubts as to whether or not they can truly because the 3rd mobile OS, and take a huge portion of the market. It's entirely possible with Android inconsistency in devices, and the stagnation see with iOS, but it would require them getting the proper balance of everything to entice people to switch to a developing platform (People are even hesitant to go to Android due to less games and media apps than iOS).

The technology is still in its infancy Forsaken. It likely was not cost effective for consumers until recently

That could put it in the same sort of price bracket as the iPad then (at least it would in the UK, with the latest version around £499 give or take 3G and memory).

Top Bottom