1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft buys Skype for 8.5bil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deathstarr, May 10, 2011.

1. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Active Member

Source: Done Deal! Big Deal. Smart Deal? Microsoft Buys Skype For $8.5 Billion In Cash

Well this might be bad.

2. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Active Member

ya I saw the typo after, But I cant change the title. :(

3. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

This looks like a job for...a XenMod!

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

;)

Let's hope they don't ruin Skype and turn it into bloatware like Messenger.

5. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Active Member

But the question remains "Did they over pay for it?"

6. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

Wise investment.

7. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

For Microsoft, but not for Skype users.

8. rellek

rellek Well-Known Member

Let me summerize:
    Best case:
    Mac-Skype gets even more ugly.

Worst case:
    MS kills everything but the Windows version. (And renames it to something like "Microsoft Windows Live Hotmail MSN Video Chat Bing" (Source))

Either way... Don't really like it.

9. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

This is a great deal for Microsoft, considering the size of Skype's user base (larger than Facebook, 660M+ users, though only about 170M of those are considered active within a financial quarter; however, far more people have probably given Skype their payment details than Facebook). It's also great for Skype, considering they're not currently profitable (they've wrote down assets and acquisition costs over $350M). If you compare their old revenue figures with new growth figures, they could reach $500M in profit this year from within Microsoft.

10. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

11. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

I can imagine the mac version being ground into the floor now. Time to start looking at that google chat thingy. Shame, I loved skype.

12. SRK

SRK Member

Time to say goodbye to Skype. I don't use Microsoft products. I am pure Ubuntu user

Deathstarr likes this.
  13. Staxed

Staxed Active Member

I'm looking forward to the integration with Xbox, just to see what they have in mind...but other than that I'm not too sure how I feel about it at the moment. I can see it going both ways really.

14. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

15. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Your optimism inspires me. [​IMG]

jasetaro and EQnoble like this.
  16. jasetaro

jasetaro Well-Known Member

Ditto the Linux version of Skype.

17. SilverCircle

SilverCircle Well-Known Member

Skype itself isn't exactly the perfect example for a lightweight piece of software :)

This is just another desperate attempt by MS to catch up in the immensely important mobile communications area. So far, nothing has helped, neither Windows Phone 7 nor their deal with Nokia. Whether or not it will help to have full control over Skype - we'll see. Personally, I don't think so.

MS and Nokia are the two major losers on the mobile market. That's a fact.

Vodkaholic likes this.
  18. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I wonder what the general attitude towards this acquisition might have been if Google or Apple had bought Skype instead.

BlackJacket likes this.
  19. Mr_Bob

Mr_Bob Well-Known Member

In my mind, they're both much more trustworthy companies. Granted, they both have their faults, but in comparison to M$...well...

20. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I disagree. They're all equally untrustworthy. Google and Apple only appear friendly on the surface.

Anthony Parsons likes this.