• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MetalGearFans launches on xenForo!

Carlos

Technically, it was launched on April 8th, 2011 as neoMetalGear. The site did not soar despite rumors of a new Metal Gear title to be released. That November, the domain expired, and I pondered of what to do next... Then it hit me, MetalGearFans? I rushed to search it, lo' and behold, it's not taken. I bought it, took the vanity names on Facebook and Twitter. Soon thereafter, I launched the site and it was not gathering steam until about mid-2012, when some users found the site and it went viral.

It was unexpected; traffic spiked when people used my MGS5 article to "confirm" the development of MGS5. This is despite the fact that Metal Gear Rising was already revealed, to which I posted articles about. Not detered by this, I banked on the rising popularity of MGS5, MGRising, and the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. I was patient for a while, until now.

I got a new skin for the site, and it's LIVE. http://www.metalgearfans.com

It's a small site, and hopefully, the site takes off on Metal Gear Rising's impending launch.

Carlos

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes came out in March.

The second part of the Metal Gear Solid V story, called The Phantom Pain is coming.

At E3 2014, Konami released an intense trailer for The Phantom Pain...

(That's Japanese, but it has captions)
Protip: Crank the volume. Both trailers are very intense, especially the second one.
The game is violent, so watch at your own risk.

I am very proud to present this today. :)

Sheldon

You've had this site since 2011 and only 360 messages? o_O
Only 15 members? o_O

I don't think the server was holding back the productivity.

--Should remove the Facebook Likes and the giant advertisement on the thread view sidebars. Really squashes your content.
--Really not seeing anything (visually or content wise) that would make a visitor want to stay around.
--Always been a fan of xenFracture, you should invest some time into it to make it stand out and represent Metal Gear a bit better.

Best of luck Carlos.

Carlos

I'm proud to say that I have purchased metalgearfan.com and is redirecting to metalgearfans.com! Has been my dream since I launched this site! :)

It's also on 1.4.2 ;)

*happy dance* Whoooooooooo!

Carlos

I do like the over all theme of the forum. I'm not a big fan of the giant block of text explaining what users can do. But, that is my opinion.
I always thought a call to action was required to make a forum more... attractive. It worked for CODForums, and it should have been working for MetalGearFans.

That Metal Gear Online trailer shown at The Game Awards was awesome... I mean, Snake starts taking control of another person's mini-Metal Gear!

TJA

Thought this was for Showcasing your forum and getting feedback not promoting videos, however a couple of suggestions.

Remove 'Home' from your nav bar, seems a bit pointless having 2 links that go to the same place
upload_2014-12-11_21-43-23.png

Sort out the size of the Google+ icon so its the same as the others
upload_2014-12-11_21-44-40.png

I would look at trimming the text in your notice for unregistered users. Other than that good job so far.

Carlos

Thought this was for Showcasing your forum and getting feedback not promoting videos, however a couple of suggestions.
A lot of people don't know Metal Gear Solid (or Metal Gear in general) outside, of course... from the fanbase. So, I just thought that posting a video would help people understand the niche a bit more, hence the 2nd post. But I digress, you don't want videos posted in critiques? Fine. I'll keep it at a minimum.
Remove 'Home' from your nav bar, seems a bit pointless having 2 links that go to the same place
View attachment 91506
Working on that soon. [Now Removed]
Sort out the size of the Google+ icon so its the same as the others
View attachment 91507
When I had a subscription to photoshop, I resized it, but then, when I uploaded it & put it in - it was misaligned, so I said "screw it, leave it alone." Quality is my top priority.
I would look at trimming the text in your notice for unregistered users. Other than that good job so far.
But, that IS default. I didn't meticulously alter it, at all. That's how it came.

Last edited:

Optic

Overall looks good, however one thing that I felt ruined the flow of the page was your welcome text. Specifically there is no padding on the left side of the image which makes it look awkward.

notice-text.png

If you can make the padding more consistent it would look much better.