Meta tags

Meta tags [Paid] 1.3

No permission to buy ($35.00)

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Meta tags - Allows adding a descriptive title and description meta tag.

Premium upgrade:

This XF2 add-on along with the entire collection can be purchased for $35.00 USD. Your Premium upgrade will allow you to download as many XF2 add-ons as you like for one year. Please see the entire collection located in the Resources area at this URL:

https://www.xf2addons.com/

Description:

Allows adding a descriptive title and description meta tag.

Meta tags are used by search engines to give your threads a title and description in their search...

Read more about this resource...

I am looking for something similar, but with the ability to change metadata, including <title> and meta description, as well as <H1> tags for paginated threads, so that each page of a multi-page thread can have different values. Perhaps the author can add that to the add-on?

Hi Andy, i am curoius about these points:
Why do use two fields instead of one for title and description?
Have you thought about import from Briv's addon?
Is there the same addon also for the resources, please?
Thank you.

I am looking for something similar, but with the ability to change metadata, including <title> and meta description, as well as <H1> tags for paginated threads, so that each page of a multi-page thread can have different values. Perhaps the author can add that to the add-on?

Page 1 => The best users dicuss about dogs
Page 2 => Dogs and cats in Florida - a life of harmony in space

Like this?

You can manage this with some smart changes to the addon of Andy.
You have to increase the fields, then you seperate the input by a delimeter.
In the template you have to "extract" the text and do something like:

somehow like:
If page_number == 2, then show title2, description2
else show the first

If you need more comfort you have to add fields in the form and glue the input later.

Maybe someone would add a new table for this and left join only the data you need by page number, but then you need to program that, while my suggestion should be easy to do also for a non programer with some skills in php.

How deep you want to go with this?
I have seen threads with some hundred of pages. :)

Ok, i have checked the table fo Briv's. It is an easy
select id, title, description where type=thread
update thread set title, description where id =

I will do this in a minute, but maybe it is better to need 12 hours or so. (Joke!)

Ok, may someone needs it. Here is my [DH]Dreamhouse 12 Minutes Importer for Briv's Meta-Addon to AndyB's Meta Addon

Code:
        $query = "SELECT *
                    FROM xf_*******_metadata
                    WHERE content_type='thread'
                    AND title <> '' AND title IS NOT NULL;";

$result = $link->prepare($query);
        $result->execute();

echo $query . "<br><br>";

while ($a = $result->fetch(PDO::FETCH_BOTH)) {

$tid = $a['content_id'];
                $title = $a['title'];
                $descr = $a['description'];
                $geo = $a['geo'];
                $og = $a['og'];

$query2 = "UPDATE xf_thread
                        SET
                        andy_meta_title  = '".addslashes($title)."',
                        andy_meta_description  = '".addslashes($descr)."'
                        WHERE thread_id = '".$tid."'
                        AND andy_meta_title IS NULL
                        AND andy_meta_description IS NULL;
                        ";

$result2 = $link->prepare($query2);
                //$result2->execute();
                echo $query2 . "<br>";

You need to add you server data and uncomment; you can do more, i will do more, but i had only 12 minutes and no 12 hours or so. (Joke repeated!)
I have more fields to go, so dont care about them.

Last edited:
Page 1 => The best users dicuss about dogs
Page 2 => Dogs and cats in Florida - a life of harmony in space

Like this?

Yes!

You can manage this with some smart changes to the addon of Andy.
You have to increase the fields, then you seperate the input by a delimeter.
In the template you have to "extract" the text and do something like:

Thank you, bookmarking your responses. This has been on our to-do list for a long time.

How deep you want to go with this?
I have seen threads with some hundred of pages. :)

Thousands of pages per thread actually. To the point where it probably wouldn't be humanly possible to manually assign these meta tags to each page, but maybe it can be farmed out to a data entry contractor or something.

The ideal way to do this would be an add-on that could use some sort of smart way of scraping the text from the posts and using that text to generate meta tags for each page. With a way to override with manual entries (because the script is going to make some bad decisions of course) :)

1. How to save: To keep it simple in a textfield as title|description|{done=0,1,2,3} => new line
2. You need a listener to extract the data and put line x+1 to page x.

Then you could maybe try to extract some 65 chars from the post 20*n+1 and also 135 chars for the description;
you could try to fetch bold text for titles also.

Then you need a script that shows the results and you just click ok or 1,2 for title ok, desc ok, 3 for both not ok
With random search you will see again and again new text, till you correct and/or save as ok.

Another question is:
Is this really helpful for your google ranking?

Genius. Yes, it would be tremendously helpful for Google. The thread in question has thousands of pages with extensive, substantive posts. We're talking scientists arguing about highly-searched topics, often exceeding the post character limit, not just random people stopping by to say "hello" or "me too." And less than 5% of those pages are indexed in search, because Google treats it all as the same page. If each page had a unique title, meta description, and H1, they would all be picked up and indexed as unique pages.

Open the function for a larger group of possible helpers.

Maybe that way:

open on page 1 => fields for page 1
open on page n => fields for page n

save all in a textfield line by line or maybe better in a new table; depending what you like to do more:
suggestions, voting ...

But better (for me personally) would be a new page with 20/x pairs of fields to edit content.
Then i open two windows (form and forum/thread); in the form i add the thread_id first, it should stay till i change it.
Then i edit the pairs for #n and save.

or

open a game for your people/usergroup - every day you offer a form with two fields and a link (opened in new window); then you ask for adding/editing the best title and description for this page with 20 posts.

I have seen also a function some minutes ago to take a snippet of the first post of a page?
This could be a start plus optimizing by members.

if not

php, fetch for all threads n to m, limit x => the first post per page (1, 21, 41?)
fetch some text, insert

or

try to catch the best words only?
For this you could watch the two add-ons for tagging, they try to do this.

You use two times a text field; i have changed it for myself to char.
Both fields could be in one, i think.

Is there anything like this for the RM?

Does your addon also support titles and descriptions for cateories or forums, or only in threads?

Sadly this addon does not support titles and descriptions for categories or forums, only in threads.

Can you please support also meta information in categories?

Last edited:
Top Bottom