As designed Message count

beerForo

Affected version
2.1.6p
I have a user with

In their profile. When you click the 1, 2 results are found.

Results
a forum thread
a media comment

It seems media comments are part of the results but not in the counter.

So you are saying there should be a separate area for Media comment total? Most likely they have unchecked the option to allow posts in the media gallery to go towards total count.

No. I am saying when you click a link with 333 results it should return 333 results. Whatever action they take is fine but it should match. I would be fine if the count matched the combined results with media comments because my users use that section a lot. As is, but count is reflective of what is returned.

You can offer your suggestion up but there's still a discrepancy here and that is my bug report and nothing more.

Last edited:
In short, this is expected and not something we plan on changing. We use this link as a location to be able to find all content by a user (rather than by requiring a separate UI control).

If it's significant to you, you may prefer to remove that link and have a separate button to perform that action with your preferred wording. (Note that beyond that, the messages total may not totally reflect all of a user's posts because you can set forums to not count towards that total.)

In short, this is expected and not something we plan on changing. We use this link as a location to be able to find all content by a user (rather than by requiring a separate UI control).

That's fair, but why does the number only reflect the forum then? And regarding your logic (it's an all content link) if I wanted to find all content of a user why would I click Messages? I don't want two links but isn't trying to shoehorn them together creating confusion? If I rename it Content the number displayed is still off for all content, but that is the intended result. Does not compute.

I know we can rename it and I call it Posts. I use this term on the forum for threads and replies because it makes more sent to me than messages from the message board era (since messengers, people think it's a message). I also consider a post any content (you "post"an image). So my name follows the logic of the result, but still not the count. Seems to me that would be the best fix. Adjust the count to reflect all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom