XF 1.4 Merging Threads

Valhalla

When you merge threads, how do the posts appear in the resulting thread?

I get the impression they merge and are sorted by date. I would expect posts ordered by thread.

Just to confirm, is it not possible to merge threads correctly if the older thread is being merged into a new thread (With the expectation that the old thread is appended to the new thread)?

Will the oldest posts always appear first?

It would make no sense to order them otherwise. Discussions, like in real life, happen in a chronological order.

One example of where this would be rather unfortunate would be when obituaries are posted.

Often, someone will create a thread with the intention of discussing someone who had recently passed away. After time (and after replies had been made), this discussion would be merged with a larger thread containing archived obituaries.

Discussions happen in chronological order within the original thread, but that order would be lost if posts are ordered by post date.

Now, I realise this one example doesn't necessitate new functionality. I am highlighting this because it is not always appropriate, especially if you are merging historical discussions in an effort to tidy up one area of a forum.

One example of where this would be rather unfortunate would be when obituaries are posted.

Often, someone will create a thread with the intention of discussing someone who had recently passed away. After time (and after replies had been made), this discussion would be merged with a larger thread containing archived obituaries.
This kind of begs the question of why would you do that? if you have so many obituary threads that you need to archive them, then the obvious thing. To do is. Relate a sub forum for archived obituaries, or several sub forums, e.g. One per year.

I currently have a forum which I am wishing to remove, and my intention was to condense the threads it contains into single thread.

(I'm changing the granularity - the forum is becoming a thread, and the threads are becoming posts.)

It would not be possible to do this without an add-on because many of the threads had been posted in concurrently, and the destination thread would be difficult to follow (Much of the time users did not quote the post they are referencing.)

Top Bottom